looking for a rim...

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by durkie, Aug 8, 2004.

1. durkie

durkie Member

does anyone know where i could get a pre-drilled dx32 in 36H? trialsin.com, the trialsinshop and webcyclery.com don't have it. i know i can just get one and drill it myself, but i don't want to fuck around with it if i don't have to. and i could get the try-all rim, but i feel like it would fall apart a lot sooner than the dx32. i want to get this wheel plazmatic coated, so i want something that will last a long time.

2. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

hmmm, i dont know, but ive heard bad things about rim coatings, like the chip, and a dx32 isnt a "great" rim. I run them and ill keep running them because theyre cheap, but ive had mine for like 3 months and theyre already seperating at the seam, the front isnt bad, but the rear has a pretty big gap, and my rear isnt even drilled.

3. ko

ko New Member

alex DX

I have rode a Alex DX 32 for 3 years and still going strong! amazing rear rim for trials. Drill it out.. it will still be strong. Mine is drilling also.

4. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

DX.

Grind, no plaz.

5. RyanMcVicker

RyanMcVicker Well-Known Member

What about the echo predrilled rims? Are they just alex rims that echo sells? Cause they look like alexes.

6. DaleM

DaleM Guest

I had been running Mvic D321 rims for a few years with no problems until I decided disc in the rear sucks and abought a tryall 42mm. the rim is huge on my b26d and it feels softer than the Mavic I had been running.

I now intend to run V's on the front and give up on disc all together but have been having a hard time finding something I like. Personally I think the DX32 are garbage. The tryall I have little faith in, though Jeremy VanSchoonhoven swears by them.

any ideas out there?

7. AndyT

AndyT New Member

If you think the DX is junk, don't even look at a try-all.

8. B1105

B1105 New Member

Most people will either say DX32 or TryAll or maybe an Arrow DHX. If you don't like any of them, you can keep using the mavic, but end up paying a fortune for a narrow french rim. Why dont you like the DX32? Their cheap, strong,just heavy.

9. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

the strength of a dx 32 cant even compare to that of a DH mavic rim, french or not.

10. stocktrials

stocktrials Mitch.

Yep they are Alex something or others (old model DX32's??). I've had my rear one for about a year with no probs, the sidewalls are a bit taller than the current DX32s too.

11. oicdn

oicdn Guest

People use DX32s cause of thier width, and profile. People don't use the try-alls because of the softer metal (shorter grind length, easier to dent/flatspot, etc) but like the width. I don't know why you'de need a 36 hole. Thre are some heavy, unsmooth mofo's on here that ride drilled 32s and are fine.....

12. DaleM

DaleM Guest

I have had my Mavics for about three years with no problems what-so-ever. The only reason I am retiring them is because they are disc specific and I want to go to V's.

I bought the tryall on reccomendation from Jeremy, which is good enough for me. Unfortunatley, they are a little wide for a Brisa B26D. Though, I do have to say I enjoy the way they ride.

Maybe the reason I am anti DX32 is because of how many I have seen bend to hell. I suppose that is due to how many people ride them.

The Mavic is a tougher overall rim. Harder Alloy. Better seems. I just wish they would make something as wide as a D321 with a braking surface.

13. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Why are you getting a Brisa B26D then using a rim brake? The whole purpose of that bike is so you can utilize disc brakes. There are tons better options than that B26D if you want to use Vs.....

And they DO make a D321 with a braking surface, it's called a D521....I dunno if they make it still or not, i.e. been rebadged, etc....

14. goose

goose New Member

booh

I'm pretty sure 521 isn't as wide as 321, though.

15. dookie

dookie Guest

How wide are the 321 or 521? Anyone know how wide a Mavic XC 717 is? Jensen is selling 717 XC rims built on Hope hubs for $299 a set! (you've got to get the special advertising code out of MBA magazine) Seems like a good deal, but the rim is probably too narrow for trials.

16. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

Mavic 321, now the EX729 is 36mm wide. The 521, now the EX721 is 28 mm wide. The XC717, relabeled X517 is like 22-24mm wide, definately too narrow for the rear.

Dale, yea the tryall rims are too wide for some frames, especially if you're using v's. I guess its too late now, but you can make 321's work with rim brakes, I've seen quite a few people do it. Though they all used hs33's, I guess the arched path of the v brakes would be too screwy with the narrow brake surface. If you're gonna get a new rim anyways, just give the dx32 a try. If you can find an Echo rim, those are a bit stronger, taller, though they may cost more than dx32's.

Oicdn, there's more to his frame than that, don't just say the frames suck if you don't know the other stuff. He's close with Brisa, so he buys frames and stuff from them. Plus it works for him, so that's what matters.

17. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Yeah....a D521 is 28mm, and a D321 is 36mm. What about this rim:
    [​IMG] Salsa Gordo 27mm wide
    [​IMG] Bombshell Fatboy 38.4mm wide

Dunno how they hold up, but both have a rim brake surface...or you can do what everybody else is doing cause IT WORKS and get a DX32...

But that Bombshell fatboy has me curious at 560g (170 grams lighter than a DX32) and is only $39...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  18. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

if you're going for that salsa gordo you may as well use a rhyno lite. Looks like it fills the same market and is cheaper, you can drill the crap out of RLs and use them on the front.

- Joel

19. durkie

durkie Member

i want a 36 hole rim because i have a 36 hole hub. that's all there is to it.

and why whouldn't i want the plaz coating? my friend has it and i really like it. i hate fucking around with grinding when a plaz coating is 100% all the time and leaves no metal all over your shit.

20. DaleM

DaleM Guest

I'm not getting a B26d, I have been riding one since the day they arrived at Brisa, within a couple hours.

I know a lot of people slag on Brisas' but that makes no sense to me as I have never had a single problem with one, and I am 6'2" 240. I am going to V's because I have given up on rear disc. I have had three Magura setups back there (Planet X and now my Brisa) and none of them last more than a year. And often they are very tempermental about working.

V's are simple, powerful, never leak, never pump up, I can get parts anywhere. My whole point in this thread was to find a new front wheel so I can get rid of my front disc.

I think 28-32mm might be wide enough for a front.