Life Expectancy of michelin comp 24.1??

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by bwagner, Aug 27, 2004.

1. bwagner

bwagner New Member

Ok, I'm reading all of this good stuff about these, so now my interest is peaked! How long do they last on average? and is the smaller size good for front, or is there another michy thats not red that makes a decent front tire? I'm thinknig about buying a new set of tires in the next few days, so any advice is welcomed. I'm heavier than average, I guess like 195 right now, so please consider that. currently running the Maxxis Super tacky highroller size 2.5 on rear and the Tioga Factory DH 2.1 in front.

2. AndyT

AndyT New Member

A shitload longer than my maxxis lasted. Granted I would rather ride a bald michelin than any other tire.

You can get the hot S in red or black...or the comp 24 light in black, a little heavier- same casing as the hot S but similar compound to the 24 (meaning stickier).

3. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

Andrew, what front tire do you or use to run? Like your best front tire.

thanks

4. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Depends what you are riding. If you are a big fat person (or just HOOOGE) and ride really jagged stuff I would go for a regular rear tire, big and burly.

If you are light and can get away with it, hot S or 24.1 light...i'm doing the latter soon.

5. B1105

B1105 New Member

I have a 24.1 Light on the rear, its aight for my tiny 130lb body, but I think the normal 2.2 would be better.

I'm running the Hot S up front and its working alrighty tightly

6. cousinkenni

cousinkenni New Member

Funny, That is what I ride!

Ken T.

7. Elan

Elan steve french

i had my original michelin 2.6 on my zoo, which i started riding march of 03', and i rode it up until about a month ago, so it lasted over a year for me. i am thinking about switching over to that same old tire here pretty soon, im loosing faith in my maxxis.

8. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Slippity doo da....foldy foldayyy....

9. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

What wears tires down fastest? My Maxxis has lasted 6 months of beginner riding..and seen almost no rocks so I'm guessing rocks really do the damage? Or is it just the riding style?

10. Elan

Elan steve french

street riding is the worst for your tires... rocks arent as bad, but its close.

11. Trialsking

Trialsking Retired from Trials

From my experience, rock doesnt help tire life much. I ride mainly rocks, and my 1 month old Maxxis S/T looks pretty beat. Mind you I am lucky if I ride 3 times a week.

12. Elan

Elan steve french

maxxis s/t lasts 1 month anywehre..soo.

13. stocktrials

stocktrials Mitch.

My Mi(t)ch 2.2 lasted just under 5 months.. I ride natural pretty much all the time, except for the occasional street session. I got this one in late June and it seems to be wearing a little bit faster (I think)

I ran a Tioga before which lasted ages but didn't have anywhere near the grip and feel of the Comp 24.. only problem is they aren't cheap :(

14. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Surprisingly, a comp S light 2.0 is working fine for me up front. It's sidewalls are thinner than the Wildgripper, but it seems to not fold as easily and grips better IMO. I commute around and stuff, but a Comp 16 and 24.1 last me a while....

15. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

Yeah - my maxxis S/T front tire is about a month old and it looks just barely newer than my 24.1 rear I've been running since like march.