Lets get some AKs

Discussion in 'The Gutter' started by RomanC, Sep 13, 2004.

1. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

As the ban is expiring... Oh wait... You could get them before. So what changed?

2. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

now you'll be able to buy new ones that don't require the use of pre-ban parts to make them full auto.

and hopefully, I'll be able to buy extended cap mags for my Steyr M9 too.

The ban didn't necessarily make it much harder to buy a fully auto gun, it just made them more expensive.

3. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

The ban doesn't have anything to do with fully auto guns.

4. Ross

Ross New Member

yeah, i thought that fully auto guns have always been illegal and always will be.

5. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

I think the ban was mainly for semi-autos and there were some limitations on flash suppresors, folding stocks, and higher capacity magazines. Apparantly these things will make the country vulenrable to terrorism now...

6. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? They just require an extra fee. You can own a mini-gun that shoots like 2000 rounds per minute. You just need to have the proper paperwork (read as: having paid a ton of fees)

7. OTAdmin

not exactly. Fully auto weapons have been regulated since 1934, but purchasing them is legal if you are a federal firearm licensee with a class III license.

8. OTAdmin

That is essentially what it is.

9. Nikolai

Nikolai Member

But couldn't you just go to a gun show any time in the last 10 years and pick up these "banned" guns anyway? As long as it was manufactured before the ban...?

10. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Yes. So the ban in reality didn't do much except drive the prices of some guns/accesories up

11. OTAdmin

Yes, but not just at a gun show. Pre-ban rifles were grandfathered into the ban in 1994, as were magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition. But the price since then has absolutely SKYROCKETED on these items. Pre-ban mags were going for like $50 a piece when they should be about $10. Pre-ban ARs were going for absurd amounts and so was everything else pre-ban.

12. DEATHb4DAB

DEATHb4DAB Guest

Cool, but I wouldnt want a AK, I would want the MR-115..

no but seriously, I want a 50 calibur sniper rifle. The ones that shoot up to 1.5 miles or whatever...

13. OTAdmin

.50 caliber rifles were not affected by this ban any differently than a normal semi-automatic rifle. They are legal to own, but I suspect you probably have no idea what it takes to make a shot at 1000 yards, let alone 2640 yards. If you misread the distance to target by 20 yards at this level you can completely miss your objective. Now, try and read the wind between you and your target and calculate its effect on your bullet.

14. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

I read that .50 cal single shot sniper rifles were pretty damn cheap after the Persian Gulf conflict.

15. OTAdmin

I'm not sure, I never really was interested in .50 BMG. My long range rifle is currently a remington model 700 VSSF in .22-250. I bought it for prairie dogs about 5 years ago and then prairie dog hunting in CO was basically banned so when I have the money I'm going to get it re-barreled in .308win. There is so much load data available for .308 and since its a favorite in long-range match shooting (which I've always been interested in), its a great choice :).

16. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

How far do they shoot in long-range matches? like a mile? Purdue has a rifle and pistol club. I used to go there but I got bored of shooting at paper targets and also I am too cheap to pay their dues as well :)

17. digby

digby New Member

I think its still >$5 a round. I think thats for the cheap stuff too. Would be cool to be able to put some holes through and engine block though.

1st thing I'd take out is the lowered denali with chrome dubs that the white gangstas drive around.

18. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

I think I may need to ditch my anti gun stance and stock up on munitions.Just in case GWB winns and our government is no longer fit to govern.

I am in no way implying a desire to harm that poor retarted over acheiver.

19. germyfur

germyfur Guest

Excuse me for going off topic in an off topic, but I just have to say this: Those poor friggin' prairie dogs! You just reminded me of a story. I lived in Colorado when I was small, and my dad would let me sit on his lap, behind the steering wheel of a pickup truck, to run over the prairie dog holes like a huge game of Whack-A-Mole.

The prairie dogs get a tough break. :wtc:

20. OTAdmin

They tear up land and spread disease. If I was to drive through the countryside a few years ago and stop at any house that had them and asked for permission to shoot, they were simply ecstatic to have me there and offered me lunch, drinks, etc. It's a MUCH more humane way to kill them than poison or drowning. A .22-250 hollow point or ballistic tip at 4000 feet per second causes a magnificent instant death.

RomanC, typically long range matches vary, but 1000 yards is basically the holy grail ;)