Learning To Trackstand

Discussion in 'Beginner's Area' started by Tris, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Tris

Tris Guest

Hey fellas i guess it's obvious i'm NEW, well i just started getting into trials riding... actually i shouldn't even say that because it's misleading... i know nothing. I've read i should start with the basics, Trackstand, Pivoting, Bunny Hop... etc. So that's what i've started to do... My Trackstand started out hideous... the way i was flapping around with my arms, it looked like i was just learning to ride a bike. I couldn't imagine how it could be done when i constantly had to take one foot off the pedals and get my balance... but with perseverance i've noticed a steady improvement, it's not perfect and i wouldn't wanna try it on a ledge but it's improving, (it's only been about 5 weeks.

I could go on and on about how frustrating it is but this is my first post so i'll try not to be so annoying. I guess what i'd like to know from you guys out there is if i'm heading in the right direction with the Trackstand and Pivoting or at least trying to learn these first. Seems to me that the TS is the basis for just about everything.

I have an ok bike that may or may not be good for those things... I have a 2004 Jamis Komodo FX, and my brother has a 2004 Norco Rampage... can we use these bikes for some of those tricks like side hops and stuff... ok i'm rambling.

I don't even know what i should be asking... anyway any feedback would be cool... thanks.

2. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Start on a little hill.

Point your front tire up the hill, angle your bike so your front tire is straight with the hill, but your rear end is angled to the side of it (which side you angle is up to you- so basically get your bike angled so you have to turn the bars to have the front tire pointed up the hill)). Let go of your brakes- and just use your pedals and the turning of your bars to balance. This is the easiest way to learn it- if you need any more help let me know and good luck.

3. Tris

Tris Guest

Thanks alot, I will need help and i will ask.

4. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

Andrews tips are pretty much spot on. As for the bikes and starting trials, you can start on almost anything. Just try to ride through/over/around anything. Riding through little drainage ditches and over small logs and rocks, and also making really tight turns around things will help heaps. I started on a small framed Giant with crappy everything, and I can now do some stuff.

Good luck and keep asking.

5. RT Wolf

RT Wolf Insanity Studios Inc.

This is something that's not often addressed when we talk about trackstanding, etc. Think about your gear, my first bike has three gears in the front, I used the first one there and about the 6th or 7th one in the back. I'm sorry, but someone else should be able to give you a good ratio, the point is, find a gear that's not too hard and is comfortable. That's cause, when you're using your pedals and no brakes, you'll prolly end up pushing on the pedals, and if you're on a very hard gear, then you can push the bike from out under you. You can also be more precise with lower gears.

This is what really nailed the trackstand for me, is I pushed my choco foot lower than the other one, straighted my choco leg and keept the other bent. But trackstanding is one of those things that people have their own way of doing it. I'll say one thing, though, relax. You can be very tense and that is one sure way of tiring yourself out quicker. Trackstanding is about a very energy-conserving way of keeping balance on two wheels (at least to me), so try to be as relaxed as possible. Eventually when you get it, try messing around with your regular style, turn the wheel the other way, or use the other foot, maybe with a tire leaned against something. Most of all, keep tweaking things while you're learning, who knows, one of those tweaks may nail it for you (like bending your arms a little, bend a leg or straighten it, etc).

When you get to trackstanding on regular ground, you can either do a brakeless version or a braked version. Braked is harder, I'd say, where you're braked and you're keeping balance from subtle tweaks. I also used to sorta bounce when I was losing balance, early on, and I saw TRA doing it in a vid recently and got me thinking, that has to be one of the best ways to do a braked trackstand where you don't have much room but a stable base. So, that might help. Personally, I started out learning the braked version so the other was a bit more complicated, but if you start out learning on the hill, you'll prolly be more comfortable with the next version. The brakeless version is where there are no brakes set (no duh, eh?) and you're just keeping balance in place. When you start to lose balance, you either push on the pedals a lil bit to push the bike out and regain balance or you bump the bike back. I think this way has something to do with how you keep your arms tensioned in relation to your body, if that makes sense.

None of this is set in stone, you can do a braked version but move the bike around (which is something a lot of riders do, including me), etc.

Now that I've prolly dralled you into confusion, i'll end with this: just go out and do it. Do it as often as you can. At traffic lights, when you're watching another rider, waiting, whatever, and you'll nail it in no time.

"You know you're a trials rider when you're doing trackstands in your living room, BAREFOOT" -Someone in the Archive forum.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2004
    1 person likes this.
  6. Tris

Tris Guest

That's awsome guys thanks alot.

7. AndyT

AndyT New Member

:wtc: I'm not a trials rider yet :(

8. RT Wolf

RT Wolf Insanity Studios Inc.

Neither am I. :( I"m prolyl the furthest possible.

It'd be funny if Vincent Hermace or TRA posted next and said, neither are we. Or we are. Either way, I'd laugh.

Trials riders seem to have such an inferiority complex. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :p

9. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I can't imagine why anyone would do trackstands barefoot, let alone in the living room. The pins in my pedals are 4" long.

10. Blackstick

I have no pins left in my DX's :(

Let us know how you go with all this advice Tris, and tell us what worked best for you.

11. Tris

Tris Guest

Again, thanks for the responses... Like i said earlier my trackstand isn't as ugly as it was in the beginning but it's by no means great, I still need lots of practice and i try it everyday. At first i was locking the brakes and from a dead stop i was trying to just get on the bike and trackstand, it's so much easier to roll into it. :eek:)

Like you guys say it's alright for me to be learing some of these things on a Jamis KomodoFX, cause that's all i have, although i could use the Rampage. Does it matter for now?

12. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I learned on an old 20" bike made for kids (like it looked like a 26" bike, but litle kids are too small for that so its got teenie wheels- no means a bmx)....i'd say it doesn't matter :)

13. Elan

Elan steve french

for the very basic beginner moves, the type of bike you have metters verry litte. pivots and all that can be learned just as easily on a xc frame as a trials specific frame. id say if your frame is over 17" though you might want to consider somthing smaller. high seats give you bad style.

14. mictuner

mictuner Guest

andrew tips is very good and clear thanks a lot

15. AndyT

AndyT New Member

:bigthumb: just ask anything you want, remember no question is a stupid one :)

16. MegamoMidwest

MegamoMidwest chicago crew

well I dont know about THAT... I have heard some pretty fucking stupid questions in this forum. No newbie questions are stupid though, so rest assured that no one will make fun of a newbie question. we were all there once!

17. Blackstick

18. Tris

Tris Guest

That video is excellent, i've read about some of the techniques used when learning to Trackstand and that video shows em all. Thanks.

The pivoting and bouncing trackstands look so cool... and the bouncing on the front tire is awsome. Any of you guys do that?