Landing to front wheel

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by trialspads, Jun 12, 2004.

1. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

I've been watching Kevin's video and others while going up an object, shifting the weight forward to land in front wheel then to rear. I can do this on a flat surface just fine but when I try to run up an object, I just can't bring the front wheel down first.

I know you have to shift your weight forward but when and how are you guys doing this? Do you not lean back at all? Maybe I'm afraid to land on my face or something but when I try to bring my weight forward I just stop in middle of the air & land with both wheels? I don't understand the whole concept maybe...

2. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

Are you talking about a pedal up to front wheel? Or a pedal kick to front wheel? Either way, it's nearly the same. You just need to be extremely comfortable with the basics first, then, you need to be able to throw all of your weight forward. You should trust your front brake a lot, and know how to modulate it well before trying!
    You shouldn't lean back at all. Get your face over your front axle, as kevin put it.
    Keep practicing and you'll get it in no time.

3. trialspads

Pedal up or from pedal kick. I'm comfortable upping things but I thought I start practicing doing a gap to a front from a rear hop position.

Does the pedal position matter when you're throwing your weight forward? I guess I'm trying to ask when you should throw your body forward? I'm not seeing this yet...

4. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

well, as I take off my weight is starting to drop forward, i guess it's sort of in the middle of the bike. then, as the front wheel comes down to the object my weight starts to get closer and closer to the stem (this is for bigger up little gap). when you land it's prime if your hips are basically at your handlebars, that is good technique.
    in terms of gaps i guess i tend to get weight forward, but then as front wheel lands i endo the back end up and shove rear wheel beneath me.
    I guess two different techniques for two different moves. Keep working at it and you should get it with time.

5. Spacemunkee

Spacemunkee Guest

i can gap up to things to my front wheel but i can never switch it to the back wheel on thin things such as kev did in his vid.. really annoying all i ever do is go to two wheels which is useless in most my situations

6. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

practice just doing an endo to rear wheel first. to start out get pretty high in your endo, at your peak pop the front wheel off of the ground and push with your legs the rear wheel out in front of you. it's ok to let off the back brake for a few inches, then lock it all the way and halt on rear wheel.
    make sure you let your front wheel spin when you switch to rear, as to make sure your not locking it up as you are poping (which would get you knowhere). same applies to when your rear is in the air.

7. Spacemunkee

Spacemunkee Guest

when i do them on flat i usually end up with my front wheel say about 2 inches off the ground and hence have to do a huge kick to get the wheel up.. i think the problem is in that im not smooth with the move yet and that im not letting the front wheel roll as i hop to the back im doing it with the brake on... something i should practice without

Last edited: Jun 12, 2004
  8. trialspads

Is this the same concept when doing a sidehop to a high object? Sidehop and this front to rear is something I'm praciticing now but can't seem to get it right...

9. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

pelvis forward, head forward. keep practicing.

10. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

nek0-yea, something like that. it's not really an exact science yet, i see some french riders getting their hips TOUCHIng their stem and bars, then i see others who can go about the same height who are landing weight back.
    Me-i try and go with weight froward for ups.

11. trialspads

Thanks...I'll keep practicing for now :)

12. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

Practice this- roll towards a curb or something higher at about jogging pace, do a hop about a wheel length away, this should get your front wheel hovering over the curb or whatever, then press down and hold your brakes, then try to modulate them and do sort of a stoppie onto the curb, or you could transfer to rear if you are good at that on level ground first.

That will give you the feel for it without also dealing with the extra distractions of trying to launch right, then you can progress.

13. stocktrials

stocktrials Mitch.

I think you are talking about a hoo haa?

Yeah you kinda just throw your weight back after you land on front wheel and push the rear wheel onto the object..

14. Spacemunkee

Spacemunkee Guest

sweet will start trying the switch to back wheel now.. i can get up about 2ft a the mo from front wheel to two wheels

15. oicdn

oicdn Guest

See, that's the funny part, is that's what I've been practicing to get myself ready for a front wheel up, but when I try anything about a foot high, I can't seem to get it...both end up landing on it, or the rear wheel never makes it. I CAN do the rolling endo to rear, but when ever it comes to actually applying it to like a stump or something, my rear isn't high enough to switch on over...I guess I'm not leaning forward enough....I dunno....

16. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

Go here: http://www.nopogo.org/npgarticleen.php?id_article=157&lang=en

Download the video at the bottom of the page, it is very helpful.

I think if you watch this enough times you will understand the pretty extreme body english. It's not something you do just by flicking your ankles and holding the front brake.

Also see 1:24 in the nopogodj1 video.

It's hard to see but as he lands from the gap and takes off again he makes a forward rotation around the BB and leaves the bars at his hips, with slight movement to stick the landing.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2004
  17. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

I don't want to be picking on one person in particular, but OICDN, from what I've heard of your posting on these boards, seems like it is definately too early to be working on front wheel moves. You should be very confident on backwheel first etc etc
    Only reason im saying your name only is because i have no clue what these other guys are at skill wise, however, i have heard of you speaking as if you are same skill level as mackiezw (i think). Others too-you'll learn bad technique if you start to early. maybe try again in one more month if it's just not coming too you :dunno: I know that I would have messed up quite a few things if i was just learning by videos, but thanks to some of the really really reallly really really good local riders i have been able to get closer at being decent at these so called front wheel moves :bigthumb:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2004
  18. Spacemunkee

Spacemunkee Guest

yea i been riding like a year n a few months now.. its the next logical move for me to learn since ive been using it for a while in natural but without the switch to backwheel which imgonna have a go at for street

19. trialspads

Yea that was a great slo-mo video! It looks kinda scary how he's shifting the weight forward but I'll try that today. Thanks for the link.

I did notice though the foot position. I think that's one thing that's holding me back...I might just practice on my rear hop again since my pedal position seems a bit higher in the front and low on the rear.

20. trialspads

Damn I practiced for about two hours on this today...I got it few times on a curve but I'm putting too much pressure on my leg & the wrist. I don't think I've been scared this much practicing off a curve in awhile :ugh: