Lacing stealth to DX-32

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by jobottDMB, Jun 29, 2004.

1. jobottDMB

jobottDMB New Member

I just ordered a stealth BMX hub to go on my old DX-32 mod rim and I know next to nothing about lacing up a wheel so I was wondering what the best way would be to make it the strongest because I have broken four spokes on my Try all rim and I want to try to make this wheel stronger. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jon

2. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

get a low number for your spokes (IE-1g spokes would be very strong, 18 would be very weak (Exaguration)). Get brass nipples. Lace it 3x or 4x if you're going over kill. Get it built by a shop who knows what they're doing (usually road cycling shops tend to build wheels pretty well)

3. Elan

Elan steve french

4x is a waste of time, just ask for 3x, it is less confusing and more easier. straight guage 14g spokes are the cheapest and probably the strongest, as are brass nipples. and most importantly, have your wheel retrued by the same shop/same person after a good break-in period. spokes will come loose, and no one takes hte time to have their shit retuned, and it fucks up and they cry.

4. Zyzzyx

Zyzzyx Guest

Elan has the right numbers. 18g, 3x, brass nipples. I'll be glad to help ya out building up the wheel, I love that stuff. Gotta re-do the rear on the Megamo soon. When ya expecting the hub?

Also, check with TruePrecision and get the info for the hub. Flange diameter and spacing and such. That, with the ERD on the rim (which shouldn't be too hard to get) and we can figure what spokes you'll need.

Stupid question here, but just double checking... You did order the same spoke number hub as you have for the rim, right? Both 36 spoke?

5. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

i think you mean 14 gauge.

dont do 4x. on a wheel that small you will likely overlap some stuff and it actually wont be any stronger or stiffer at all.

6. Zyzzyx

Zyzzyx Guest

Yeah. 14g. Was a long day yesterday.