Observed Trials banner
21 - 40 of 81 Posts
:werd: <-- to what that skim guy said.

a bike needs to be setup for you.. other wise it feels like shit... it can be the exact same ride as your own just setup diff and it can feel terrible.

afrobot said:
Plum Dum yum yum!! Like internal/integrated h-sets.Both crap.Go to The king web site and read all the tekky shit about both....It's ok you have one, and I'm sure it rocks for you.After you progress you will go for something else.

It's ok Otkdyn we still love you :greddy:
Read...they also say that the only downside is trashed cups....well umm...maybe if you're riding downhill or EXTREMELY hack-ish. And if it's "trash" I don't think King would yet, offer a headset to "compete" with a Zero Stack with the same warranty as thier other headsets. Why would they blatently call something ghey or trash, and yet, offer a product? Would that mean thier design too is trash? I don't think King markets ANYTHING trash. So I don't think they think Integrated is trash...it's just a non-standardized alternative. pretty much an alternative for those that want a different headset than a Zero Stack. Although, it's probably the same headset, as King has to get copyrights probably from Cane Creek for this headset too, LOL!

Chris King said:
An "Internal" headset (also known as "semi-integrated", for maximum confusion) is yet another headset type that places the bearings within the head tube (rather than outside the head tube, like a conventional headset does). The key difference between an integrated and internal is THE BEARINGS DO NOT TOUCH THE FRAME with an internal headset. They are contained either by a cup or an aluminum or plastic shim assembly which is pressed into the headtube.

One example is the Zero-Stack™ headset. It is an "internal" headset that uses the exact same bearings as an integrated headset. The important difference is that in a Zero-Stack™ headset, a cup is first pressed into the frame, then the bearing is placed in the cup. The bearing still floats around in the cup, and it will eventually trash the cup. This is absolutely superior to an integrated headset because you can replace the cup. The frame will never be damaged by the bearing. Another example is the Columbus-type internal headset. It actually presses a bearing directly into the bike frame, similar to our Perdido headset.

Just like you can't convert an integrated headset frame to use a conventional headset. Internal or "semi-integrated" headsets offer basically no structural advantage over the conventional headset. Sure they may be radially stronger, but this isn't really a weakness of the conventional design.

If you think that the conventional headset is just too ugly and you can't bear to look at it, internal headsets are for you. That is the benefit. Heavier frame and fork, no real structural benefit to the assembly. Looks different though. And yes, this judgment includes our own Perdido headset.
So the headset arguement...again...is weak sauce.

As for a Megamo...eh. Maybe. I like variety, and there's no doubt I'll be trying other things as I get better....but I won't knock it unless there's really a valid reason other than speculation or hear-say....

pav said:
i didnt know about internal headet

i just think megamos generally look pretty gay
hmm, they dont look gay, they look tops, they ride like poopies is all. so i guess they must be gay. megamo have some really really good idea's like their aluminium discs and that, and their disc mount, but they dont seem to have a good enough idea about the "in style" geometry.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
See the whole reason I posted this topic was to piss people off. to show how hipocritical ppl are. how one company can copy another but becuase they are "in" at the moment its a big deal. And apparently it worked. Because so few ppl now a days seem to ride just to ride. its all about the fads and going with the crowd. andy t will of course disagree with me but its already been debated.

copying brings progression. maybe andy t wouldn't like his xtp if it had to use some fucked up bb/yoke and ended up being shit because they didn't copy megamo. it doesn't fucking matter. if the pitbull geometry suits someone better than the cous geometry then thats what its all about.

how are megamos shit? they outlasted all the other bikes i've had.
You don't see any welfare welds on my bike like the koxx or the echo/zoos. the strongest rear disc mount on any trials bike. lots of innovations like the one piece machined bb/yoke. etc etc.
My bike is fuckin dope. and although this is gonna sound really arrogant, but for all the ppl who say you can only get to a certain level on a shorter bike, just watch me ride and then try to tell me that

I hate how long bikes ride. but that doesn't mean their shit. if i rode kevins desalvo or andys xtp i'd prolly hate them both. but i know they are still amazing bikes.

good topic dave.. especially the post before your last.. made sense. its nice to see someone has a brain :bigthumb:

the coustellier bros used to ride megamos.. oh wait that was before they were as big as they are now!! pfft megamos suck now though, they're gay and shit.. hey aren't they a copy of some other frame? waaah boo hoo i'm going to join the majority and hate on them!!

I tend not to say much on this, riding a pitbull and all. why, I should be stoned to death or thrown into a insanely hot volcano or fed to a pack of hungry snakes or whatever the fuck you fancy.. but the fact of the matter is a lot of you need to just lighten up!

Dave was just stirring shit, stop stressin

that is all.

That's the ZS6....which I have no fuckin clue about what's different than a "regular" Zero Stack. The Zero Stack or Zero Stack 2 from most shops is $30-45...about the average cost or slightly cheaperthan a headset with sealed cartridge bearings. The only DISADVANTAGE is that you're pretty much STUCK with a Zero Stack. You have no variety....

King says the only issue with an integrated is you can trash the cups, but I'm thinkin they mean in EXTREME situations, like a DC on a DH bike. Maybe then ya know, with all that added stress, probably it's likely. But the fact that people don't tighten it up enough probably adds to the fact that it makes play later on down the road...again, deterring from the internal....

I agree, if the option were available, I think I probably WOULD go the normal headset route even though there's no proven advantage.....somply because they're readily available, and you have variety.

As far as "only going so far on it". LOL, I was gonna say "look at Dave and tell me you can only go so far before you "outperform" it" but Dave beat me to it... Megamo is like any other bike frame out there, they all come down to preference and what you want. "The Cous Bros used to ride them...before they got big"...LOL, weak sauce.....

If they were good enough for the Cousts at any point in their career they're good enough for anyone on this board. I bet Dave could outride any long bike post whore on this forum, on a lowly megamo. I too hate the long bikes, I prefer something with a WB of about 1040ish. I'm sure a lot of people buy the fad frames and hate them, as they find them too long. There is still a market for bikes with a wheelbase in between street and UCI.

The only problem with this is that people read internet forums trying to gauge which bike is right for them. As many people can't even test a bike before buying it.(like myself to an extent) And then they get these guys who have 1500 posts spreading long bike propaghanda(not kevin). AndrewT does everything he can to put down companies he doesn't like, using his practice videos to manipulate noobies. Most people on the forums are average level riders, who might not benefit from the set ups some of the expert riders preach. This is turning our extremely small, difficult, unknown sport into freeriding. Hopefully everything will cool down once we can all ride. I want a ZOO!, Monty or Megamo to go against you stubborn people. Didn't AndrewT post somewhere that 80% of people are stupid?

If the idea works, build it, progress and dont be left behind. Why stay with sub-par design when you can make something better. If it wasn't for all these "ripp-offs" we would all have to pay 1200 bucks (or more) for a frame that only one company produces and all us non-pros (or non-experts like myself) would be stuck riding a monty (which i still ride by the way) for ever and ever (hopefully not for ever). WHat is a KOXX, 800 bucks for a level boss. So Zip It about "waaaa...they stold this design and BLAH BLAH BLAH...." RIde the Bike You Like and Shut UP!

ive had my megamo for a little over a year now, have had some pretty bad stacks, and my headset is fine. I dont see anything wrong with it, heck I have to tighten it a hell of alot less than the standard cup headset on my SC Heckler. Maybe a long bike would suit me better, maybe not, I dont really care because my bike works for what I do, it works very well in fact, and I dont need some fancy 1050 dollar frame to let me have fun. different people have different preferences, and until you prove to me that my Megamo sucks, I will keep riding my bike.

vince- you make a good point. too many people cant think for themselves. they read something and think "well thats what the majority thinks is good so it must be= ill take one please"

i would like to think that when i made the shift to long bikes i sharred my experience with other riders. i hope i told people that long bikes are not alwyas the best thing for less experienced riders and that unless you are a taller than average riders they dont really do much for you until you start hitting upper sport/expert level stuff.

megamos are good bikes. i really like the fact that they seem to be made to higher standards than many other trials frames. i cant stand anything but a conventional headset but thats not to say its the only reason i wont ride a megamo. one of the reasons the coustellier brothers no longer rider for megamo is because they broke the frames far too often for their comfort. i shouldnt really go into this on a forum much further though.

trials bikes are made form some pretty generic stuff most fo the time. simple things like dropouts are charred by many companies because they are cheap. machining or forging your own dorpout just to be different is rediculous. the coustellier frame has the same dropout that the mk 2/3 zebdi's had. oh noooes, coust copied PX?!?! hahahaa. but seriously though, too many stupid people take the stupid internet stuff too seriously. i must repeat what others have said- "go ride your bike"

yes i am a hypoctire.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.