KMC's bitchy 'missing link' (another chain question)

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Bloodhound, May 3, 2004.

1. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

First off, let me state that its a KMC Z51 chain, I think its one of KMC's cheepest chains.

I need to take one or two links out of my chain, thats easyer said than done. A little mannual came with it said that a chain tool is required to undo the missing link (dunno how that is supposed to work?), and that all the other pins are rivited so you cant use them to re-connect the chain.

How the hell do I get a KMC "missing link" undone!?

Thanks

2. Elan

Elan steve french

hammer/chisel/vice or anvil

3. Nikolai

Nikolai Member

I know with the cheap version of KMC chain on my campus bike, the link is one way only. You can put it on, but once it locks in, you can't wiggle it loose like you can with sram chains.

4. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

Exactly, so what do I do about it?

5. Tanner

Tanner New Member

get a new chain

6. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Uhmm.. Just use a chain tool and split the chain. Then use the chain tool to take off the links you don't need. Then use the chain tool too put the chain back together again. I have the exact same cheap chain and that's what I did and it works just fine.

7. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

You mean just like a reg chain right? I guess thats what I'll do then, even though KMC says the chain will break doing this, I sure as hell cant figue out the missing link thing.

Or maybe I'll just go back to my PC51, it must have been a freeky mishap that it broke in just over a week.

Thanks Caramoor'

8. pav

pav New Member

wak it with a hammer until it breaks then get a KMC Kool chain

9. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

One thing though. This chain stretches like a bitch. I seriously don't think it will last very long..

10. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

I'm actually glad you said that, my drivetrain has been kinda sketchy lately and I can hear creaks comming from somewhere. That chain is gone as soon as I get home.

11. MikeTheBike

MikeTheBike Active Member

Yes, you can use a normal chain tool to break and reconnect the KMC Z chains. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use the quick link.

I've been running the Z91 chains for 4-5 years with no serious mishaps. I do replace my chain every 4-5 months regardless of it's condition, though.

As stated, the Z51 is rather stretchy and will wear out fast. But, you get what you pay for. Get the Z91. It's usually a special order from your LBS but it's definitely worth it. The only chain better than this one is the painfully expensive Rohloff Trials Chain.