King just started skipping!

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by besham, Aug 24, 2004.

1. besham

besham Guest

My king is only 8 months old and sees about 3-4 hours of riding a week. I am about 230lbs but this mofo shouldnt be skipping! Should I just send it in to king or what? Also when I bought my hub they told me that they were not giving a warranty on trials bikes, so I am nervous about sending my whole wheel with the grinded rim and custom cassett setup (that wont ocme off) Should I unlace the wheel and send hub only or is that being paranoid? Has anyone sent one back in the last 6 months or so? Thanks.

2. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

service it yourself?

go to eengodidkdkls.nl and search for tarts vids, get the chris king service one.

3. besham

besham Guest

I couldnt find that web site at all, but I would like to see the vids! Can someone give me the correct adress?

4. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

5. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

you'll be better off in the long run if you do it yourself, as you can already see from the above posts. kings are actually fairly simple once you take them apart a few times.

i probably dont need to say, but just in case, have you checked your drivetrain and made sure its coming from the king?

6. besham

besham Guest

Will I need any parts to replace or what, what is the usual problem causing this in kings. I have worked on traditional pawl and spring hubs, but not the ring drive. The rest of my drivetrain is solid, it has skipped 3 times and slipped almost a 1/4 pedal stroke. I wont be able to watch the vids until thurs (high speed @ work).

7. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

8 months of untouched riding is pretty impressive......it happens, they need to be cleaned every year for dry riding, 6 months for wet, and as far as ive noticed like every 3 for me.....

8. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

mine was skipping after a few weeks of riding on it as well. If there is ANY play, you should tighten it. It may (as it did for me) solve the skipping problem. As for the cassette, I had to jimmeh rig a vice to press the cassette out.

9. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

why would you need to press the cassette out to tighten the bearings? or to pull the driveshell out and service the ringdrive for that matter?

does anyone actually READ the king manual that comes with the hub? it's only like 10 pages...all this is covered. You can get a PDF version off the king website. Oh wait, I get it, you've got a pirated hub, hence no manual. Well you ain't welcome HERE !

- Joel

10. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

He mentioned he couldn't get the cassette off.

I read the manual, and I fixed my problem. I don't remember if I took my cassette off or not.

11. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

kings are great, but they do require some matinance.......just like everything.....

12. sharpe

sharpe Guest

i just got a king the other day on my bike. does everyone let it break in a lot before riding? i have had about 3 rides on it and have just been riding fairly normally, but no big gaps. although i have ridden about 30km on it from riding place to place that's all the break in im really doing.
    so if you don't break it in for the "60 hours":greddy2: king recommends, does it really make much of a difference to how the hub performs?

13. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

I didnt break mine in well at all, did a bit of freewheeling, but nothing like the crazy 60 hour style.

Mine is spot on now, skips every now and then under very small amounts of pressure, so not on big gaps, which is just fine by me.

JUNKIE.

14. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

i dont think ive spent 60hours on my bike since i got my king, ~5 months ago :rofl:

Sorry about my instructions, i just assumed you would know what eengoididid.nl was. I was in a hurry.

I find asoon as any water gets in the hub it skips like a bitch. Has it been fully submurged or anything recently? Mine was today so i think a service is not far off.

Get WD 40 and spray it all around inside the hub untill it starts comming out the other side clean. Let it dry, then use some tri flow or some mineral oil, some say? you will only need a few drops. Put it all back together, the process should only take about 15minutes the first time you do it. Then it only gets quicker ;)

15. besham

besham Guest

Thanks for all of the advise guys, I am overhauling the hub tonight. I tightened the "cones" just a little over finger tight after it skipped the first time. I havent been through any water lately and I ride urban 95% of the time so it shouldnt have any grit and grime. I hope it will solve my problems, but to be honest I am skeptical that relubing my hub is going to fix anything. Even if it fixes it, I know I will have a hard time trusting it on the next big drop (about 3-4 feet for me). It seems that there must be a greater problem. I dont know why I havent taken it apart yet, guess Im just lazy. If I see anything that looks unusual (metal shavings or chips), its going straight to king. Ill post back after I have a look.

Hydroboy, I did find the site but couldnt find tarts vids anywhere. I searched the whole biketrials section and then PMed tart about 4 days ago but havent heard back. I would still like to watch it if anyone can point me in the right direction. Thanks

Also, has anyone sent back a hub in the last 6 months?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2004
  16. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

i broke mine in right. i've had it for almost 2 years, it's not once had even ONE skip on me. big gap, small pressure, nothing, NO SKIPS. i love my hub

17. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

18. besham

besham Guest

I tried to download that at home (took a couple of hours) and for some reason only got the audio, at work it wouldnt even start to download. I will try again. thanks anyway
    Also I didnt know that was the tarts video.

19. besham

besham Guest

I took the hub apart and cleaned everything. I found a few small metal shavings which seem to have come from the ring drive internals. Im sending it back to king asap. Guess Ill unlace the wheel so my grinded rim doesnt cause any warranty questions. I will be cleaning and relubing my hub every 3 months or so when I get it back. It was much easier than I thought, and yes I read the manual before I even started this thread. I was worried the ring drive might just fall apart or somthing. Now I know, and "knowing is half the battle" (GI JOE)
    Thanks

20. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

Just clean it out and ride it. if it still skips then send it back. if it hasnt been cleaned out since hte break in period then the shards are probably imperfections.