King Cog and 9speed

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by KenC, Oct 18, 2004.

1. KenC

KenC Member

Does anyone run a King cog with a nine speed chain? If so, I assume it must work OK? I know that the cogs are spaced for eight speed, but was wondering if anyone knows if a 9 speed chain will work fine? Reason I ask is I just snapped my 19-21 Ultegra cassette carrier (the 19 and 21 tooth cogs attatched to the Al carrier), and the LBS couldn't find a place to get a new 19-21. So I want to get a King cog, but don't want to replace a perfectly good chain. Thanks.

2. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

I wonder if any chain out there works with the king cog :? I tried out several chains, and each one skipped. Except an already used XT 8 speed chain. Could have been a 9 speed as well, I don't remember..

good luck finding a chain that works!

3. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Chains I've run on king cog: SRAM no name (99?- was made for 9 spd), shimano XT (new version), rohloff, KMC Z chain.

Good luck finding a chain that doesn't work?

4. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

I never had any problems off-the-bat with my KK, but a lot of people have troubles with new chains and new Kogs for like, 7 pedal revolutions, it's a break-in thing that you get with precision parts. This also means that the kog lasts for ages, which is a good thing. I've run 9sp and BMX chains on mine, new AND used, with no probs.

- Joel

5. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

I run a high end 9speed shitmano chain on mine.

6. KenC

KenC Member

thanks, my king cog will be here this week.