jumping power

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by trialharder, Jun 6, 2016.

1. trialharder

trialharder Member

Especially to all trial gods out there, namely Ali C, TRA, Damon Watson..., how do you train jumping power? What kind of exercises do you do to gain some explosiveness so you can jump that height you guys do?

2. saltine

saltine New Member

I recommend some ungreased backdoor hammertime pelvic squats until you feel the explosivesness in your core

I'm sure Ali C would be happy to confirm this

3. Mark W

Mark W cleanzine.co.uk

I think that's on the next vlog.

The main thing they did/do is ride a lot, then ride some more. Unless your technique is already really good, you'll benefit a lot more from just spending more time on your bike and learning to refine/improve your technique that way. You could do all the plyometric exercises you can think of, but if your technique isn't great you're still not going to be able to apply that power in the right way. As your technique improves and you go bigger, you'll also naturally gain the relevant strength required as you progress.

So yeah, if you want to get better at riding, ride :p

4. toni

toni New Member

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j30ta-tq4Jc[/ame]

5. Nada

Nada Active Member

That's pretty vague advice. Can you elaborate? What about my diet? What sort of workout routine should I do? Are there any useful websites/videos you can point me to?

6. SubSub

SubSub New Member

I think that advice was a pretty clear and obvious. What he was trying to say is diets and excercises are inferior to riding. And from what I could read behind the lines there is not so much of regular exercising going on but riding? Or did I get that wrong?

7. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

But how much should I weigh when I go riding?

For street riding I mean, not natural.

8. Mark W

Mark W cleanzine.co.uk

I have a pre-ride protein shake with a bit of added Ex-Lax and Ipecac which helps me get down to the right weight for street.

9. toni

toni New Member

In terms of jumping with a bike..
    I find the more time spent on the bike makes me weaker but more efficient with technique.
    Timing and movements improve, I've reduced my peak power but I am better able to use a higher percentage of it.
    Doing weight training almost feels like a recovery to the damages from riding...

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  10. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

This.

And what Mark said about having good technique. Unless you're already a high expert or pro level rider, your time is better spent on the bike.

11. Ali C

Ali C "bmxer"

this X 100!!

Fo cereal, if you want to get good at jumping on a bike, go get on a bike and jump it until you're good. I don't train, I don't do plyometrics, I just do a lot of bunnyhops.

Once you get good and you perhaps want to get better, THEN go to the gym to increase your power, you need the control and timing on the bike before you start to upgrade your power.

12. brian_e

brian_e Active Member

thats the real deal holyfield..

13. NateE

NateE wtflol

For the sake of trolling.....

You can have moderate technique , go to the gym for a couple MONTHS, come back and notice that you didn't lose anything in terms of your inch hunting numbers....but you'll be a hack on the bike. I did it....and on one hand it was cool to see I was able to throw a bike around like a $5 hooker and not lose my inch hunting dgits, but I was so terrible with technique it was painful to watch until a couple weeks in where I smoothed out and took advantage of the gained power.

While there probably is an ideal balance of riding:gym ratio, it's probably more trouble than it's worth. You're not an elite level athlete. Your diet probably won't be good enough. You're a normal person with other things to do besides riding and training that have to be done during the day like work or school. So no, it's probably not feasible. I'm sure the likes of Jack Carthy probably have this balance down (hah...a pun in there)...I mean, have you seen how jacked he's gotten lately and how good his riding is? But he probably has hired help and already has exceptional technique down...and unless you're willing to do that, just ride your bike like Ali and Dave said.

14. AndyT

AndyT New Member

You can have good technique, go to the gym for 3 months, and come back and be a monster.

15. My Little Pony

My Little Pony Active Member

In my mind the oversimplification is this. If you can jump higher on your bike then on your feet, go to the gym. If you can jump higher on your feet then on your bike, go ride your bike.

dart89 likes this.