journalism at its finest

Discussion in 'The Gutter' started by WhiteRavenKS, Jun 28, 2004.

1. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

so i took journalism this last year at my high school. it was taught by a total prick and i wanted nothing more than to punch him in the groin and give him ED (that is if he didnt already have it). but i did learn a bunch by teaching my own damn self just like what the case is with everything in life. this may be one of the most brain numbing articles ever written in the history of mankind. or at least in the history of newspapers. this is my opinion though "as a writer" and someone who "likes to see people skateboarding" and most importantly "someone without their fucking head up their asshole"

http://www.adn.com/alaska/story/5194658p-5127555c.html

Last edited: Jun 28, 2004
  2. WhiteRavenKS

ps- that school district and that community are fucking stupid.

3. Elan

Elan steve french

ok... im happy my shin isnt on my back and that i dont play illegal baseball?

4. nidoss

nidoss Guest

ya its pretty lame, especially considereing that the freakin state is just starting to put in skate parks and places for people ride skater boards and bmx and stuff. and then these skateparks are way the shit out in the middle of no where, where kids under 16 cant get to without their parents.

I was never a fan of the anchorage school district.

5. nidoss

nidoss Guest

hahah elan, ya there is some weird freaky shit going on up in alaska =)

6. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

Bumper sticker seen.

"skateboarding is not worth a dime"

7. bigd

bigd Guest

well for the benefit of the article it at least didn't make skateboarders out to be a bunch of vagrant punks who only like to destroy everything and listen to "heavy metal" and worship teh satan. i mean sheesh..

8. WhiteRavenKS

yeah but it did make alaskan teachers sound like god damn freaks of nature... like elan said- what was that bitch's shin doing on her back? ???

9. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

...im dumb and in need of password/username

10. WhiteRavenKS

Schools ban skateboarding
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]SIGNS GO UP: The practice of "grinding" costs the district thousands of dollars in repairs.[/font]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]By ANNE AURAND
    Anchorage Daily News
    [​IMG]
    (Published: June 15, 2004)

[​IMG]
    Metal obstacles installed to discourage skateboarding on walls and steps at Hanshew Middle School are periodically pried loose, school staffers say. (Photo by Erik Hill / Anchorage Daily News)

Click on photo to enlarge
    The Anchorage School District is posting "No skateboarding" signs at most of its schools, giving police a tool to arrest, or at least shoo off, skateboarders on school grounds.

School officials say they are reacting to an ongoing problem of property damage from skateboarders and a couple of incidents in which district employees were threatened or assaulted.

Most skateboarders are probably good kids, said Mark Mew, the district's director of security and a former deputy police chief. But he said he has heard of more problems with skateboarders than with other groups of kids who use school grounds. The district is not rethinking, for example, whether to ban baseball during summer, he said.

"The fact that some of them resort to violence to protect what they view to be their right to control the schools is what's upsetting," Mew said.

At least twice in the past year, confrontations between school employees and skateboarders at Hanshew Middle School escalated into allegations of assault, according to police reports.

On April 11, after a female teacher had asked skateboarders to leave, "the two males began yelling abusive language, profanity and began calling her names," the police report said. One of them charged toward her on his skateboard, with the second following close behind. The first male "struck" her, causing her to fall backward and bang up her shin. The skaters got away, the report said.

Last August, a school official confronted a male skating on concrete planters, not far from a "No skateboarding" sign that's been in place for a couple of years. The school official grabbed the skater's board and the skater started yelling, the report said. Two males who had been playing ball nearby ran over, shoving and threatening the official, throwing punches into the air. As the official called 911 on his cell phone, they all escaped.

No charges were filed in either case.

City law bans skateboarding only in the Town Square area of downtown. Otherwise, skateboarders are breaking rules only if they trespass on property where they are unwelcome.

The main reason they are unwelcome on school grounds, officials say, is that their sport scrapes up the curbs, benches and railings around campus. The current style of skating chips and breaks concrete and smudges it with black marks. The district spends thousands of dollars a year to have maintenance crews fix the damage. Plus, officials say, they are concerned about the potential liability if a skater were to get hurt.

Even parents who encourage their kids to skateboard can understand that. But because there's nowhere else for kids to skate, they resort to school property, said Jean Stage, mother of 13-year-old skater Martin Stage.

The costs of repairing damage and the liability that comes with skaters are legitimate reasons to ban the sport from school grounds, she said, although she said her son would kill her for saying that. She suggested that if the city built a skate park, skaters might not be as tempted to trespass on school grounds. She doesn't believe they mean to do any harm.

"I think you have some polite skateboarders who do damage," Stage said.

City leaders are working with local skaters, an architect and a Seattle-based company to build a large skate park near Sullivan Arena but lost a chunk of potential funding when a proposed bond issue failed in the April election. There are two city-run makeshift skate parks that many skaters say are inadequate.

Skaters like to slide and grind the bottoms of their skateboards and in-line skates along the edges of curbs and benches -- anything that promises a smooth ride.

Mew said last summer the district spent more than $12,000 at Hanshew and Abbott Loop Elementary installing or repairing skate stops -- metal L- or C-shaped bands that hug the edges of the angles that skaters ride, interrupting the slide.

Skaters chisel them off to restore the smooth surface, Mew said. The district is exploring new ways to build things, with rounded or rough-textured edges that won't attract skaters, district officials said.

It will be harder to protect the campuses now that it's summer, but officers will occasionally stake out schools, Mew said. He's especially worried about the new, remote South Anchorage High School, because it's secluded in trees.

Skateboarder Eric Tauriainen, 21, said he's noticed more "No skateboarding" signs around schools, as well as more police. He feels bad, he said, for the younger kids who have the drive to become better skateboarders but have nowhere to practice. When he was younger, he honed his skills at Hanshew and Abbott Loop schools.

Police are just doing their jobs when they kick skaters off school grounds, he said. But when cops approach skaters with attitudes, they're going to get attitude back, he said. He said he doesn't fight with anyone who asks him to leave.

Tauriainen, who works at Alpine Painting, said it's just cement and it can be fixed. He pays taxes and, he said, he doesn't mind his taxes going toward those kinds of repair expenses.

"We need to have a place somewhere. There are kids out there, and it takes some skill," he said. "People just want a place to learn." Daily News reporter Anne Aurand can be reached at [email protected] or 257-4591. [/size][/font]

11. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

WYSIWYG editor > *

12. redworm

redworm ninja pants!

13. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Yes.. he was saying it like an english kid... they don't always pronounce their Hs or spell to "gud"

'ello m8
    wot teh 'ell?

etc etc etc

14. Elan

Elan steve french

despite is hatred for bad language and such, matt is well studied in english ebonics. such is matt.

15. WhiteRavenKS

no. ED = erectile disfunction. a sloid cock punch might do some significant damage to the geezer. oh yeah, plus he is a chester.