Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by polka-dot-mod, Dec 16, 2004.

1. polka-dot-mod

polka-dot-mod Guest

i just got a new acs claw freewheel and installed it. it seemed to be working fine except that it skipped on me once or twice in the hour or hour and a half i was riding for. is it normal for freewheels to skip evn when there new? thanks,

Steve

2. manimal

manimal New Member

did you put locktite on the inner ring threads before installing it? its probably lose..

try tightening the inner ring using the two holes on the face of it.. you wanna turn counter clockwise..

3. polka-dot-mod

polka-dot-mod Guest

thanks, someone toldme that it mostlikely came loctited so i didnt check before i put it on(stupid lazy me) so i guess ill do that tommorow. do i have to pull the cranks off first to get at it, ive never done it. thanks, steve

4. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

my acs skipped about 15 times the first 4 or 5 days i had it. since then it's skipped hardly ever, and never under load.

5. Josh_Helliwell

Josh_Helliwell Josh_Helliwell

Every freewheel skipps when they're new. Its just bedding in.
    Josh

6. will4eva7k

will4eva7k TrialsDEN.com

the acs my bro had on his new was working fine, started skipping then i tighten it again, and again, and then it skips all the time
    couldnt take it no more coz it holds us back whenever we ride, so then i took it apart for clean and check the internals and to loctite it, and one of the pawls inside are snapped

its not my thread, but is it possible to buy new pawls? or do i need to get a new freewheel?

7. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

Yeah, you can get new pawls. They will charge you something stupid like 15$ for a couple tiny pieces of metal. At least that is how it is with shimano freehubs.

8. janko

janko New Member

My first acs blew up after 2 minutes of riding (two pedal ups, and one kick), one of the claws broke.

9. TooSicKs

TooSicKs Guest

My ACS never skipped, EVER. It make a funky noise now becus eone fof the pawls are screwed up but it still never skipped. I broke it in before i mounted it though, by just spinning it around and engaging every point using hand force for a while when waiting for my rim and other parts to get in. I'd just leave it on my desk and pick it up and play with it whenever, and i could feel it get smoother after spinning it a bunch.

10. Surfer Rosa

Surfer Rosa New Member

Might as well spend some more money for a White Industries freewheel instead of wasting money on cheap freewheels.