is the white ind.s trial free wheel worth it

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by daveanscombe, Nov 23, 2004.

1. daveanscombe

daveanscombe Guest

ok now then ive seen cris king 72 engagement hub and the white indistries free wheel.now they both have 72 eng points but the free wheel is cheaper.........can some one explain this 72 point engagement thingy thanks

2. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

3. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

The white industries free wheel either has 36 engagement notchs on the inside of the drive body (the part which has the chain teeth), or 24 points.
    I dont know for sure, but yeah...if it has 36 engagement points, it therefore will have a set of four pawl. Which are little teeth on springs which pop up against the drive body. So when you coast, the pawl run over top of the engagement points. Or vice versa...The four pawl are off set to each other, 2 sit in two teeth at one point, and then the other two sit in another two teeth at another. Therefore, giving you 72 points of engagement. That or there are 24 engagement points and 6 pawls, same difference although this time 3 sets of two pawl will be off set to each other. Something like that. Assuming that it works like a bmx freewheel which it most likely does. But in that case, you only have two or possibly four pawl set in two or four teeth...

Where as a king has two rings which are pushed up against each other in the hub shell with a spring. Each ring has 72 little notchs, when you coast the teeth run over each other, but when you pedal all 72 teeth lock into each other and you get your engaging stroke.
    Kings are better, they're stronger. I hear less problems with kings then I do with the white industries free wheel.
    But they are a hell of alot more expensive. Still worth it none the less!!!

4. durkie

durkie Member

the king is going to technically have more engagements per revolution versus a front freewheel setup but didn't you just ask this like 4 threads down?

5. Elan

Elan steve french

king > all. and you can still run a FFW crank with a track cog if you want a FFW crank. i do, and its awesome.

but if you are on a budget or some crap, get the WI FW set up, its pretty nice.

6. daveanscombe

daveanscombe Guest

decided on a freewheel

ok im potin for the freewheel as im now a lil short on $$$.......what do i clean it with and can i make it louder thankx

7. Elan

Elan steve french

clean it with any metal contact cleaner or WD-40... to make it louder put a boom-box on it.

8. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

Why would you want to make it louder? Ohhh I get it, so people think youre cool? :greddy:

9. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

my bmx respect is counted by the decibles your freewheel/cassette is throwing out.