Is it normal?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Apr 8, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I've been practicing Pedal up's lately...I've noticed my pedal ups are lacking in comparison to my Pedal kicks. Like, I can pedal kick up something knee-wheel height, but I'll be DAMNED if I can pedal up it.....I come close, but no matter how hard I try...I fall short. Normal? Or is it just lack of practice compared to the pedal kicking?

Sidehops....I hop to the right dominatly...actually, that's the ONLY direction I can sidehop. I can sidehop about 8 inches to 1 foot high, or half of my pedal kick....but, my left shoulder HURTS LIKE A MOTHERF*CKER. Not the muscles, but the ball-joint. I haven't ridden in 3 days and it still hurts when I try to lift something. Is this normal "build-up" to sidehops? I practice sidehopping onto like a parking curb(for accuracy more than anything) if that matters, :rofl:

Any advice?

2. atypical

atypical Guest

I know where youre coming from about the shoulder- same ball joint prob, I imagined mine was from landing drops with my arms outstretched and my butt too far back and front wheel too high- it'd pull the shoulder something fierce. So, I just drop smoother now, prob seems to have gone away. your Shoulder pain could be from pulling up on the sidehops and using a lot of upper body and not so much technique and pedal/legs. One thing that helped was popping the shoulder joint throughout the day, then stretching a fair amount before riding. As far as pedal ups, you need to start later it sounds, if you're falling off you need to wait just a moment longer to lift off with the kick, get more vertical and pull the bars to your hips as you finish the pedal stroke- you'll get the timing soon. I don't know if dangerous momo comes on here, but he had some shoulder probs I think(culd be wrong) and he was out for a long time- surgery I think, look out!

3. Elan

Elan steve french

as for hte pedal up, just kepp on keepin-on.

4. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

pedal ups-probably cuz your on stock. on mod it's harder to pedal kick up things, so i can't really relate, but just keep practicing, and eventually you'll be upping 2 feet in no time (which starts to get at a decent height)

5. RideManuals

RideManuals Guest

I had a problem today with them at first but after playing around with distances(starting distances) they came back and it help me to really concentrate on driving the bad foot pedal hard and smooth to get the choco foot in the right place with the right power after that I could up 2 feet, I still tend to do bunnyhops seeing as I can do the same hieght with same run up to rear. I had the same problem before I learned pedal hops cuz I could pedalkick(surge) knee height but just couldn't pedal up for me it was really driving thru the bad for with a steady and hard force like starting a wheelie then hop/pedalkick.

6. Cryo-Cube

Cryo-Cube -----------

Pedal-up is the move where you roll to the object right?
    If so then im better at pedal ups then with the static pedal-kick to up something.

7. B1105

B1105 New Member

Just practice, I didnt need to practice to get the pedal up high, but practice usually works.

8. cogmog

cogmog Member

I feel the pain witht the pedal ups and side ups........I keep trying but my timing is all off. I ve got little ones down but nothin over a foot or so.
    This I will try!

9. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Oh...it's not the timing...I just don't have the height.....I'm like 2 inches + shorter on my pedal up compared to my Pedal kick....it just seems easier to pedal kick up an object than rolling, but eh, I was practicing and it seemed to work out well....but I'm lacking the height..timing and all is fine, I got the timing down...I just can't for SOME REASON get the height, or consistency...practice I guess....

But as far as the shoulder thing....It doesn't hurt when I ride, only when I sidehop. I use the same technique as my bunnyhop, except my bars are turned so when I ge tthe front of the ground, it's to the side, and when the rear comes off, it just follows the front....so maybe over extension of my arm since the bars are cocked to the side?

10. atypical

atypical Guest

Maybe just sidehop with the bike at an angle to the structure, no real turn in the bars, just the front closer than the back? Its the way I've always dun it, but I only get a couple feet (waay better now without my azonic frame tho)

11. Solid

Solid New Member

Hey I have almost the same problems. But, as someone posted earlier it was due to landing and really stretching my arms. My shoulder felt like it was going to pop out of the socket. It doesn't seem to be bothering me as of late. I would like to know if there is anything that will help me get the timing down for pedal ups. I know that I have the power in my legs, but I just can't get the timing right. I go out and try again and again and it is getting so frustrating. I also can't side hop higher than a curb OR side hop drop off something. I just can't figure out why its not working...I need some trials lessons...help?

12. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

if you're not doing anything wrong, which you claim to be, then there is no problem. keep practicing :eek:wned:

13. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

Okay, this is what worked for me. I learned pedal ups last week, and I found that two things really help to get up when the up is about the size of your wheel or bigger.

The first is to to start closer in (although this is partly because I run 22-20 ratio) and lightly touch the front wheel against the tip of the obstacle as you go up.

What helps even more than that is to make sure that you fully compress, crouch down so that your eyes are almost lower than the height of the obstacle, and then, when you pedal into it, explode upwards quickly and smack the bars against your hips while your ankles are fully extended. Try to really exaggerate and move through these extreme contortions of your body with a maximum of speed and explosiveness.

PS: When you are facing a really big up, (for me this is headtube height, I'm just beginning) it helps to take your left index finger off the brake and use it to grip the bars better. This lets you lift the bike up faster and higher.

14. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Damn...let it touch...I can't tap stuff yet......I start pedaling when I'm like 2 feet away, so by the time I get over the ledge, I have to throw the bike foreward.....I have no height...

15. Solid

Solid New Member

so it sounds to me like I am not the only one having these problems. I watch vids and I can see exaclty how they do it. I totally see it but I just can't get the timing. Is it just practice?????????

16. Elan

Elan steve french

its all practice..and theres the mind thing..i could do almost bar heigh taps when i had my zoo..and then i sold it and didnt ride for almsot two months and totaly forgot how to tap..now im just relearning pedal ups...

17. Ryder

Ryder Guest

Dude,

As far as the shoulder goes, DON'T ride in pain, you will regret it. I had severe pain in my right shoulder when I was younger (16-18) and I side hope to the left mostly. I think it started when I started hucking big drops just because I could land them. And then stressed my shoulder by over exert.ion It is nice to drop the bomb on your friends though, but my should still hurts sometimes. Try to take a few weeks off and drink lots of water, eat protien, and take a Glucosamine suppliment, you can get it a GNC or some shit. You will feel a difference, it is like oil on a dry chain for your joints, no shit! But you must take some time off, at least with the intense shoulder moves. And for pedal ups, just try to start with your goodfoot and mark the distance your fr axle is from the ledge. You must have your pedals level w/ the ground or be ready to use your front foot to "pedal kick" as your front wheel touches the lip of the ledge at which point you should jump and transition your Center of Gravity up and forward so that you do not fall backwards. fro me it helps to point my knees out wards intead of forwards so they do not cramp your chest/hips or style. Prack tiss, you will gets it dawg! Ryder