'instructional' Grinding video

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by AndyT, Apr 17, 2004.

1. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Ok, here it is. My grinding wheel is the town whore, everyone uses it and its over a year old - i have no idea where the tools to switch it are...(well I did steal it from someone :eek: ) so I had to fuck with the angle alot to get a good grind. Angle will depend on how sharp your wheel is.

Hopefully you will get the gist.

I'll answer any questions. If you are a pussy you can wear pants/gloves/eye protection.

http://videos.observedtrials.net/andrew/AndrewT-Grind.mpg

2. ty

ty Guest

hahahahh that is the funnies grinding vidoe ever, i like the sbliminal touch and explicit instructions. :D

3. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

LOL for subliminal programme!

Nice arse shot.I did a little grindin myself on that one!!!!

4. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

haha, i liked the part about stefahn
    thanks for the vid though, i haven't grinded so it's clear to me now

5. durkie

durkie Member

so is it just taken for granted that after a couple minutes or so of riding with a grind your pads are going to be coated with metal that's going to mess up your braking? i'm coming from a ceramic coated d521, and when everything was squeaky clean the brakes absolutely would not budge under any circumstances when locked. of course, when things weren't clean they would slip and be completely gone. it seems like with a grind the wheel slips with the brakes locked, but just much more grudingly...

6. RobbieP

RobbieP OTN FOR A THOUSAND MORE YEARS I SAY

well, you're supposed to wipe your rims off afterwards. That way you avoid getting metal shards squished into your pads.

7. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Yeah...clean them off...i.e. wire brush....

8. cogmog

cogmog Member

good stuff!!!
    :cool:

9. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

Nice vid Andrew T, its all you need really to know how to grind. Although i wouldnt mind some close up pics of your "finished results".

What happens if you grind it with a metal cutting disc? Just curious :)

10. Tanner

Tanner New Member

the cutting disc explodes, sending shrapnel EVERYWHERE, including your neck, killing you

11. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

Lol, just saw that Stefan Maedar bit. It only appears for 3hundredths of a second, i had to open the file with Ulead video studio 7 to see what it said..

Oh and, "STEP 5: CLean the mother fucking place up"

Lol, you forgot " STEP 4:Remove crusty, stained, cream-filled sock"

Ha.:)

12. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

Thats not what happened when i used it to remove a rear cog from my mod and a front freewheel from my mod FF cranks...

Seriously, what effect does a cutting disc have? :?

13. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

heh, took me about 10 minutes to pause it at the right time :greddy2:

14. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

i used quick time ;) took me 2.3 seconds

15. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I've never used a cutting disc.

That sock is brand new.

I've never had little metal shards all over my rim :ugh: . Clean out the inside of your rim (where the tube goes) obviously. If your brake slips AT ALL, shoot yourself in the head because you are retarded and did it wrong.

16. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

What about close up pics of your grind Andrew?

17. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

How long have you been grinding that same wheel? its a dx32 yes? and by the looks of it, a very deep grind, so how long will that rim last?

18. AndyT

AndyT New Member

my digi cams batteries just died valium- it just looks like a grind :dunno:

this wheel is probably around a year old. I've never had to get a new rim because of too much grinding... I grind once every week or two, but I also took lots of time off this past year (probably over 6 months). DX32's are super hard metal, they deal with grinds very well.

19. durkie

durkie Member

it's not about having metal shards all over you rim. just that it seems like after a half hour or so of riding the grind has worn sufficiently to coat your pads with metal and fuck things up. grinding just seems a lot more high maintenance than i had anticipated.

20. AndyT

AndyT New Member

What kind of pads are you running? My pads (plazmatics) don't get any metal or anything on them, they are just brown where they hit the rim...on the dx the grind will last you 7+ real hours of hard riding.