Indicator for US election - the best so far...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Debate' started by tomacropod, Oct 9, 2004.

1. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

[​IMG]

:wtc:

there is no smilie to express my deflation. Bush, Blair and Howard, marching on to victory.

www.abc.net.au for up-to-the-minute casualty reports.

- Joel

2. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

Im crying tears of blood with you Joel.

3. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

just look at that smug fuck. grr. He's got even more power now. grr.

- Joel

4. who would want to enlarge that picture?????

5. sharpe

sharpe Guest

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH. well there are some sick weirdos around! JOhnny might want to keep it as his background picture.

6. KyleT

KyleT Guest

You voted for Latham then? I still can't stop laughing at the fact he beat the shit out of a cabbie........and i heard somewhere that the cabbie voted for him

7. sebLG

sebLG New Member

john howard is really small and weedy and annoying. i saw him once at the opening of the magna carta (that i was forced to go to farken shtoopid shitte crap privtate school gllaahhh) and i was in year seven and he was so small compared to me i felt like beating him up. thats how small he is. he is small. :ugh2:

8. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

I would hate to ever see Australian politics stoop to the superficial levels of US campaigning where candidates are judged so much on the image they portray and the gimmicks they can come up with, rather than the (boring) real issues that they address. John Howard is very very intelligent, and a skilled politician, as well as running a very good economy. His personal and party philosophies however are now getting out of hand. He has been given more power in the senate, and the right wing "family first" party, with which I imagine he personally sides more than his own Liberal party, now has a disturbing amount of power dotted around the place.

Howard has an obligation to use his newfound power to act in the longterm interests of the Australian people, by getting us off the arse/ass of GWB's policies and excursions, and as such off the list of the Arabic and (more worryingly) South-East Asian terrorist groups. He also has an obligation to reduce Australia's reliance on fossil fuels and implement the (tokenistic, but heartening) Kyoto protocol but hey, one thing at a time :) If a right-wing government continues on this path in Australia for another few terms, Australians and New Zealanders will be more alienated than ever (from each other, which would be a terrible blow to Australia), and the cost and difficulty of maintaining our national security will make us prisoners in our own country, as well as appearing highly hostile to foreigners as a place to visit/conduct business in. In this respect, we can learn a lot from post 2001 America, which has somewhat of a ghastly reputation in Europe now.

- Joel

9. Blackstick

Absolutely :werd:

I wish someone would do a photoshop of him as Mr Sheen.

I think alot of people voted for the family first party because they liked the name and thought they were doing something right. The intelligence of the L.C.D. never ceases to amaze me.

10. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

LCD = mortgage belt?

you're up really stupid early Rush, Adam and Will are still bleary.

- Joel

11. Blackstick

LCD = Lowest Common Denominator.

Im at work, been here since 05:45. Nasty.

12. sebLG

sebLG New Member

mmm 6.30. school soon :gaybar: . well i guess that isnt that early. shmeh ... how do you know all that stuff joel? did you plagiarise it? its like a small essay. teehee

13. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

I didn't plagiarise it, I learnt it :)

when one starts to be genuinely concerned about the future old people with control are making for you - taking note of these things becomes automatic. You'll start to feel the tightness in your chest and a shortness of breath soon enough.

- Joel

14. KyleT

KyleT Guest

Hey Joel, what does the family first party have to do with Howard? I didn't know they were connected....
    What subject in school did you learn all this political mumbo jumbo? It's scaring me.

Are you a politician or working in the Australian embassy in France or something?

15. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

I've never taken a political unit in school, in high school I did a lot of english, in college (yr 11/12) a lot of science, and now in uni a psychology degree, mostly social psych.

the family first party has nothing to do with Howard officially, although the Libs (perhaps due to our preferential voting system, perhaps something more sinister) have not cast a single stone at them since they came out of whatever woodwork it was. Being a right-wing party though, and Howard being a family/religious values kind of guy (at heart, and shows in policy, but isn't overtly or publicly religious, praise Allah) he is giving them a lot of sway and freedom. They seem to fill up the right-wing void left by the one nation party quite nicely, and are all Howard's favourite things, anti abortion, pro-abstinence education (decoded: we think sex is evil and won't teach the children about it, as such they won't learn about safe sex and will get pregnant and disease-ridden, but at least we didn't talk about evil things, the sin is not ours) anti-stem cell research, environmentally ignorant etc etc.

The problem (or perhaps the blessing) of the two party system is that you have two parties who are very similar in stance, and only offer tokenistic left/right distinctions when compared to the minor parties, who will be more extreme/committed to their opinions. Howard comes from a far-right sort of opinion base, but is shoe-horned into a centre right position. Any chance he gets to act out his conservative instincts he takes, and now family first will help him along. The same goes for the Labor party on the left of course, pathological greenies are much more tasteful to me personally, but the economy suffers for such idealism, a balance of left/right power is the way to create something stable and representative, at the moment we don't have that.

Eureka !

We've identified the world's problems, now we just have to fix them !

- Joel

16. KyleT

KyleT Guest

The family first policies sound shit....anti abortion, anti stem cell research (which, if was allowed to go ahead, would cure something indirectly, no matter how little people actually have it). How did they go anyway? Did anyone vote for them? I certainly wouldn't if i was the right age to vote...

BTW, I heard a thing a while ago to cure a few world problems (it was taking the piss, of course)..... "Feed the homeless to the hungry".... :rofl:

17. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

that's good, although a little too pragmatic for modern tastes :)

- Joel