Increasing pedal kick?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by B1105, Mar 7, 2004.

1. B1105

B1105 New Member

Hey there, I've been practicing my pedal kick for a while now, and I can't seem to increase my gapping distance and height. I can gap about 1 ft normally and maybe 2 on a good day. Height wise, my highest is about 1/2 a foot. I know practice is key, but is their any changes in my body position which would really help me?

2. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Stand straighter when on your rear wheel, drop your front wheel really low and compress your body before you kick and kick real hard :bigthumb:

3. bigd

bigd I Have a

yeah, body english is what makes the oomph behind a pedal kick. like andrew said let your body compress and really throw your weight into it. also, make sure you REALLY truzst your rear brake and your finger is strong enough to lock it hard. in order to land a huge gap (look at andrew's pic coming off the loading dock on the most recent group ride pics, or kevin's railroad gap from the group ride before that) you have to throw your rear wheel out farther to catch your weight when you land.

4. AndyT

AndyT New Member

pics big D are talking about:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. B1105

B1105 New Member

Hmm alright thanks guys, how far was that gap in that pic Andrew?
    Byron

6. bigd

bigd I Have a

christ from the angles he and dolph had to go pretty damn far, andy nearly NAILED it, he was about 2 inches short of hitting the concrete only he still made it but knocked a few rocks.. it had to be at least 8ish 9 feet maybe. HUGE

7. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I hit is like 4 times fine... where you're wheel lands , the point of hitting, will never be the high spot in the wheel on really big gaps or really big ups, but momentum carries you over.

8. bigd

bigd I Have a

yeah, the only times i saw though looked like your wheel was just a hair short of catching the edge just right like you mentioned.. i didn't see every run though. i know it shouldn't land on the top of the target, you want the tire to kinda fold against the front corner to kinda catch your wheel

9. AndyT

AndyT New Member

and its also good when your gay maxxis tire bouces you everywhere and makes wierd noises.

10. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

AndrewT: Are you going back to michelin? I have michelin now and It's awesome. But it's a little on the beefy side. And the weight of the maxxis tires is tempting. Should I switch to maxxis the next time I need a new tire or stick to michelin?

11. oicdn

oicdn Look at my member...

Read his post on the "painted his woodman silver....seems like he hates it, but needs more time on it....

I proudly gapped 3 feet yesterday. At the school there is this bicycle lane near a curb, it's 3 feet from the curb, I can land on the line like 1/4 of the time.

Andrew and all them are right. Lowering the wheel really helps before you PK and just throw out your rear wheel. Kinda throws off my balance a little, but it gives you a nice surge when you kick. Ateast, it helped me......

12. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

The advice is working out for me as well. I can manage a 2.5 to 3 foot gap now. Unfortunately, on flat, ideal ground. I tried to appy my new skill on chaotic rock surfaces and almost ended up in the creek. :eek:wned:

13. AndyT

AndyT New Member

So far maxxis vs. mich comparison:

First off maxxis is heavy as fuck compared to my 2.2 michelin, this is the 2.5 minion (on the rim they are about the same width). The maxxis makes super strange noises, and compresses very strangely- the huge sidewall (like 3/4" longer than the michelin) bounces you all over the place. Now this is good for a lot of things like sidehopping, it gives you lots of extra bounce...but when I gap to some angled rock I don't want my gay tire to rebound me 3 feet off of the rock- I want it to hit and stick, not rebound. You could say just get the slow reezay compound, but everyone says they just fall apart. When this tire runs out I will go back to michelin immediately and never look back (I think?).

My whole way of riding has to change to adjust to the tire, when the adjusting is done I may prefer it- but for right now its a sharp hot knife in my side.

14. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Ok. I was thinking about the highroller 1ply thing which I think is about 850gr(what I've heard). Which would certainly be a noticeable difference. But I agree that a overly bouncy tire might be difficult to adapt to. I don't know... Maybe I'll just try out the maxxis and if I hate the bounce as much as you do I'll go back to michelin. I'm also kinda worried about pinches.. But if TRA can ride them without pinching so can I(I think).
    Damn. I got so owned on a wheelie gap today. My good foot slipped of the pedal so when I landed I planted my ass right on my michelin tire and smacked the pedal on my knee. I did make it over once though and it was like 4-5 feet so I was pretty damn proud.

15. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I've never pinched my michelin, and i seriously doubt I'll ever pinch this maxxis...I will be running a maxxis in the front for sure, I want to try it out- the bounce would be awesome for taps...

And for getting owned, on that ride the pic was taken of- the first up I tried was to a column way over h-bar height-, i tapped it went to rear and before my rear landed both of my feet went off the pedals and my anus found my threshold booster nicely..then I fell backwards onto my head with my feet still flying in the air :)

16. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

I've never pinched my michelin either. I don't think it's possible. The rim will be toast before one pinches. Which makes me think about the word overkill. And If I can get a lighter wheel with just a much grip and pinch maybe once per month max then that would be good. But If it folds on rocks that wouldn't be good either. I'll probably try it. Or maybe if I'm rich at the time I'll buy the maxxis and if it sucks I'll put it up front where my el-gato(gay!) sits now and stick a michelin on the rear. But seeing as I'm a bum that is unreatlistic. Oh an about the post on the oicdn vs. andrewt thread. I'm sorry. I guess I've been reading your posts wrong. My apologies.

17. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Do what I do- run a 1" tube in the back, weighs aroudn 100g and costs the same as a regular tube...or if you have money get a latex tube, weighs like 100g as well but is expensive as poostain.

18. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

19. Elan

Elan steve french

wow... if you use your brake you will have no teeth. at least that is the way i understand it... because its cool to have your front wheel spin while on rear... i think i use my front brake however... im not sure... but i can only tap like 3' maximum...

20. AndyT

AndyT New Member

no front brake unless you want problems or think you can control it.