Image Uploader tutorial

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by OTAdmin, Mar 12, 2004.

1. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

For those of you who don't know how to use the image uploader, I've decided to write up a quick lesson with pictures.

First a few quick notes about the uploader,
    1.) It is for use on this site only, if you attempt to post the images elsewhere all that will appear is an observedtrials.net banner in place of your images.
    2.) You can't overwrite existing files, so choose unique filenames. You will get an error if you attempt to upload a file with the same name as one that has already been uploaded.
    3.) Only images are allowed, and their maximum file size is 275KB
    4.) All IPs are logged, so if you're going to upload something illegal, first I'm going to let your ISP know, then you'll be banned from the uploader and possibly this site.

STEP 1: In the toolbar at the top of the page, click the "Image Uploader" button as illustrated in this picture:
    [​IMG]

STEP 2: The page will load with five "file fields", if you have more than 5 pictures to upload, near the bottom of the page (as illustrated in this next picture) you can "add" more fields, and when the number reaches the number of pictures you have to upload (up to 50), click the "Reload" button and the page will reload with enough fields for all of your pictures
    [​IMG]

STEP 3: For each field, click the browse button, find the image you want to upload on your hard drive, and select Open (in the browsing window). After you have all the images you want to upload selected, click the "Upload" button. Depending upon the amount and size of the images, and your connection speed this may take a while. Wait for the page to finish loading and you'll see the image listed in step 4.
    [​IMG]

STEP 4: Now it is going to tell you what files were uploaded, provide you with links to paste, and show you the pictures for an upload review. In this step you want to click the "copy" button and it will highlight and copy the links that will be needed to post the images.
    [​IMG]

STEP 5: Now jump on my forum and go to start a new topic, or reply to an existing one. Paste the links (control+v) into the reply (as illustrated below) and organize them so that wherever you put the links in your reply, that is where they will be displayed in your post.
    [​IMG]

If you have any questions, you can post them in here.

Bill

2. Lagerhead

Lagerhead New Member

No questions now. Thanks.

3. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

how can i reduce the file size? stupid question i know

4. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

i do it on photoshop.
    resizing it will make it smaller. but you dont have to. just save as, and choose the quality on 4. it will make file size a ton smaller and the pics will still be awesome.

also, if you do cool diagrams on paint like me, dont save the drawing straight up, because it choose bmp as default, and it will make the file size biiiig. choose to save it as a jpeg and the file size will be tons smaller.

5. Pancho

Pancho New Member

Better yet, go to c-net.com and download any cheap image compressor, there are about 1005 of them, so you should be able to find one. They work better than the crappy stuff photoshop has.

Or, better yet, go buy Macromedia Fireworks, like I have. It is 10x better than any free compressor and 100x better than basic photoshop.

6. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

thanks for the tips i just saved 'em as jpeg and that reduced it a lot. i will look at c net for one or something. thanks

7. Johno

Johno Guest

[​IMG]

just testing the image uploader..

This picture was taken inside with 15" of snow and -5 outside.

Norway rules...