Im still running v-brakes(go ahead and laugh but i need help

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Shorty2020, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Shorty2020

Shorty2020 Guest

yes im still runnning v-brakes. for some reason i just cant seem to get any power out of my brakes like when ever i set up to pedal kick i keep getting short moments where when i put pressure on the brakes they start to slip then like catch themselves again.

Can anyone help me?

2. its not to laugh about... but maybe a brake booster would help

3. AndyT

AndyT New Member

4. Shorty2020

Shorty2020 Guest

can or will tar help my problem at all? cause my friend uses it on his monty and his work like a dream now.

5. AndyT

AndyT New Member

It will work ok. Don't touch water with it.

6. JK

JK New Member

If you have a good grind you will never need tar. Tar is the devil. By good grind I mean 40-16 grit radial grind.

7. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

And make sure all your links aren't loose. Any play in the line or links in your V's and levers kills your performance.
    Also if your levers are junk, maybe get some new ones. The other day I grinded my rims to get away from tar (for weather resons) and my brakes sucked! I didn't even want to ride my bike, but after I adjusted everything nice, cut the brake cable as short as I could and got new levers. My brakes work flawless now.

8. Peace

Peace pedocrab

dont use tar its shit!
    dont be ashamed of vees, they rule when set up properly with a grind!
    grind
    grind
    grind
    Peace

9. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

yea, good set of pads, not $40 trials pads or whatev, but not huffy bike shop pads, i love my koolstops, harsh grind, and good levers, your all set...

thinks like boosters and compressionless cables are nice too

10. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

if you ride when it's dry and not really dusty then tar is easy and good, providing you know how to apply it, and you have decent tar.
    i use tar over a grind because i only ride in dry weather, its never dusty here, and i know i can clean my tar off and use my wheel for manualing shit/xc/anything else.

otherwise, do a grind.

11. DaleM

DaleM Guest

I went to V's after I got sick ot Disc. I am using Avid Ultimates with an SD-7 lever. Not so sure on the lever.

Make sure you have good clean cables, no drag. a nice grind.

So far I have used Kool Stop Salmon pads and I just put on a set of Plaz pads, the clear ones. Those things have amazing stopping power.

I also plan on going to V's in the front.

Dont be ashamed of V's.

12. Shorty2020

Shorty2020 Guest

well i tried tar and it worked good but it was my friends and i was wandering where can u get the tar and whats the best stuff. And my levers are shit but im getting a cheap par of SD-7 levers from a friend

13. digby

digby New Member

1. make sure your pads are flat against the rim when it contacts.
    2. if its the rear, put your spring tension all the way up, put the spring post in the top hole instead of the middle
    3. use as little housing as you can get away with and stretch the hell out of your brake cable when you set it up.
    4. if its a rear, get one of those roller cam things, they work awesome
    5. grease the hell out of your cable.
    6. grind the hell out of your rim

get some koolstop pads, or blue ritcheys. after all this, you should have pretty awesome brakes.

14. Cryo-Cube

Cryo-Cube -----------

i had the blue richtey pads...not that good. The echo pads are way way better.

15. Shorty2020

Shorty2020 Guest

how much are the echo pads or some of those plazmatics cause my friend say they pretty cool

16. Lil RomEo

Lil RomEo New Member

Plaz pads are around $35. You can get them at www.webcyclery.com or www.trialsin.com or you can get those salmon pads for like $12 a pair from your local bike shop and then you should get a grinder.