If I was the best front tire what would my name be?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by BrettM, Oct 3, 2004.

1. BrettM

BrettM New Member

So I am starting to plan out my new Peyto and I am stuck for a front tire. I want something on the wide side, not too too heavy, crazy grippy, and not too foldy when ran at low psi. It will be on a dx32 so that should help the folding.

I am looking in the 700 to 900 gram range and would like it to be small rear tire size. At the front of the pack right now is the Michelin Comp 24.1 Light version. Anyone have any experience or anything? Any other tire suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated.

Also may as well add this. I have decided on the Michelin Comp 24.1 for the rear. The Try All rocks but likes to fold a little too easy. I think a 2.2 is fine for me but a 2.5 is only a little bit more weight. Is there any reason to bump it up to the 2.5?

Thanks

2. B1105

B1105 New Member

I've used the Light michelin on my rear(currently), works decent for a rear, so I can only assume it would work great for the front. I think the Maxxis Minion DH F ST would be a good tire, I plan on trying that one for my next front tire.

3. Elan

Elan steve french

light michelin is nice. i use the maxxis minion DH single ply in ST 2.35".. i like it a lot. run at very low psi. folds almost never on a mavic d3.1 rim.

4. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I have the light michy in the front, it would be worthless in the back compared to a 24.1, even with a big downhill tube in it..). No complaints, better than my hot S with a dh tube in it as well.

5. BrettM

BrettM New Member

I completely forgot aboots the Maxxis lineup. Here in Canada everyone is a hucker apparently so no distributors will bring in any of the 2.35 single ply tires, which means I would have to order from the states.

Out of the 2.35 single ply Maxxis tires which would be best suited for the front of a trials bike?

6. digby

digby New Member

is the light 24.1 michy a dh casing, or a hot s in the comp 24 compound?

7. Elan

Elan steve french

basically a hot s wit ha 24.1 compund

8. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

i was just about to make a thread about this. i don't really want to hijack the thread but it's definitely not worth making a new one for myself. i am concerned with grip and weight. lots of grip and very little weight. i have no problems with my lightass xc front end at the moment so pinch resistance, how much it rolls etc means nothing to me.
    light and grippy, what do you recommend? (reply to BrettM first :) )

9. Elan

Elan steve french

hot s..not al lthat gripps. but very light

10. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

I have a Lopes Bling Bling 2.35 double ply on the front, pretty heavy, but way stable. Its put grooves into my fork leg cause I couldnt be fucked trimming it :)

Its a nice tyre, would be even better if it was single ply.

11. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

super duper ulta euro only secret tire!!!! comp 15... suck it everything else. well except for the single ply maxxis minion dhr 2.35.

12. Elan

Elan steve french

i thought kevin only rolls kreepy krawlers?

13. WhiteRavenKS

on my dubs i roll the creepies. on my deuce-sixuh i roll the minion dhr's. but the comp 15 is a gnar ass front tire and would run one in a second if i had more.

14. BrettM

BrettM New Member

Isn't the Comp 15 a semi slick? Did you mean Comp 16?

15. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

comp 15...right....isn't that the semi-slick?

BTW I too have a single ply minion dhr 2.35 st, and it's awesome. Will be even better (less foldy) when I get my dx32 all set up. If you call up supergo, they have some cheap 2.35 single ply st mobsters right now - $25 each (at least my local supergo does)

16. WhiteRavenKS

comp 15??? semi slick??? not the ones i had... think hot s. now imagine it doesnt suck ass. now think dh casing. now tack on dh soft compound rubber.... oh it was the bees knees- the cats pajammas... AWESOME front tire. came in at like 800 grams or so and had grip like kung fu.

17. AndyT

AndyT New Member

comp15 soft- semi slick- 820 grams, 2.2"
    comp16 soft- regular tread- 1150 grams, 2.2"

then there is

comp24.1 soft- 1150, 2.2" (what I run in the back)
    comp24.1 light- 850, 2.2" (what I run in the front)
    comp32 soft- 1350, 2.8" :eek:

Yeah so.... :hsugh: ... also it says the comp 16 has a special soft compound- implying softer than the comp 24.1 which just has a soft compound. I'm not quite sure how you would have DH casing, soft durometer, and 800 grams?

18. WhiteRavenKS

i must just be making shit up then. pay no mind to my last several posts.

19. AndyT

AndyT New Member

:dunno: I'm just looking at michelins web site.

20. WhiteRavenKS

they are stupid and changed the comp 15... they are sooooo stupid. what i have is the best evar. i wish everyone knew the love.