Observed Trials banner

I was bored... so, here are some pictures

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  airmj 
#1 ·
First of all, I apologize to dialup guys for the rather large photos... but I can't stand jpeg compression artifacts, and the best way to prevent them is to not compress them very much. These were taken the night I left for vacation (which explains their late arrival) on March 19, 2004 at the University of Colorado campus, Boulder, CO. I believe the people that showed up were Taylor, Tyler, Kevin, Steve (Wentz I think?), Josh, Theo, and myself. Josh was riding manifesto style, Steve and Theo were on street bikes, and the rest of us were riding normal trials :).

Sequence shot of Kevin sidehopping a ledge:

1/400s, iso100, f/3.5, 18mm

Kevin dropping that front wheel for a flat landing:

1/800s, iso100, f/3.5, 18mm

Theo with a bunnyhop to manual:

1/800s, iso100, f/4, 28mm

Kevin about to drop off the same ledge he sidehopped up in the first photo:

1/400s, iso100, f/3.5, 18mm

Kevin tapping a rock wall:

1/500s, iso100, f/3.5, 18mm

Tyler showing us the biznass on a large gap (and my camera's lens showing barrel distortion and vignetting at 18mm)

1/500, iso400, f/3.5, 18mm

Motion blur photo of Theo manualing a bench (1/20s)

1/20s, iso1600, f/3.5, 18mm

A pretty nice Boulder sunset shot:

1/125s, iso400, f/3.5, 18mm

Lemme know what you think.

Bill

See less See more
#9 ·
I forgot a picture of Kevin, so here it is, I believe he pedal kicked to front tire on this ledge.

1/640s, iso100, f/3.5, 18mm

Kevin, here is the only picture I took of steve, I didn't like it as much as the Theo picture, so I didn't post it:

1/800s, iso100, f/4, 28mm

Dustin: you can take great pictures with your camera, it just takes time to get good at it. You just got that thing not too long ago, I've been doing trials photography for about a year and just decided I wanted to actually take professional looking photos about 3 months ago (I have a long way to go!).

I know you can do it with your current camera, its just going to take time for you to figure out what you want and then apply it to your work. I definitely recommend checking out www.sportsshooter.com

By far the most incredible sports photography site on the net. I haven't joined yet due to the $25 it costs, and I'm not sure my pictures would pass the test anyhow. You can still read up on the forums though.

Bill

#12 ·
You've done it again Bill, great set of pictures.

Although, some seemed a bit too dark for my liking, but that may be due to the fact im on one of the library PC's with a more than shite monitor.

What resolution do you take pics at?

It'd be interesting if you could post up the picture aspects, like ISO speed, appeture size, shutter speed? With my canon digital camera if you open the images with 'Zoom Browser' (software that came with it) and right click, under properties it gives you all the camera settings.

sweet.

#15 ·
valiumlaw, my monitor is calibrated for printing so I'm sure if they look dark its your library's monitors. I will edit my original post with the metadata (EXIF data) of each picture.

airmj, thanks for the suggestions and being honest. I do use a small USM, but I don't think they're oversharpened... definitely within the normal bounds, no halos or anything like that. As for the levels, the only one I touched with levels was the picture of Theo and the picture of Steven Wentz manualing. I underexposed them a bit because I wanted a nice blue sky and the clouds in the backdrop, the subjects were backlit, and I figured I could bring out the darkened areas in photoshop. However, I'm definitely still a beginner, so if you could be more specific on any problems you see I'd appreciate it.

Bill

#16 ·
Bill - Thanks for putting in the information for each picture. Just got a digital camera (Canon A70) recently and am re-learning what the various settings do. The little thing does have the ability for lots of manual settings if I want, so I'm starting to play with that instead of going full auto. So far I've just been setting the ISO (usually to 100), and am starting to play with the aperture. Now to get the wide angle adapter for it, only goes to 35mm stock.

#17 ·
no problem

Just remember that YOU are smarter than the camera, don't let it tell you what settings to use. Ever since I went to full manual for every picture, 99% of the time I get the exact exposure I wanted. The only exception in this batch was the second picture where I blew out the highlights, but I knew I did it immediately after taking the picture because I forgot to meter the scene (DOH!). I think the A70 is a great camera, you'll definitely be able to capture some awesome shots with it.

If you want to talk more about it, want help, or whatever, send me a PM with your AIM, or MSN name and I'll send you a message on there.

Bill

#19 ·
i like like your photos, your timing, especially your composition but i'm just slightly bothered by the kevin photo where he pedal kicked to front tire on the ledge, that's the one where i thought it's been over sharpened.

Under the chin area, to the left you could see the result of USM, highlight running along his jawline :D And his left calf has a bit of halo.

Thanks for taking my critique nicely matt, :D I've met some other photographers who're really stuck up. :D ah, and my avatar's over sharpened too. hehe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.