I am stupid, but bottom bracket sizes

Discussion in 'Beginner's Area' started by snakebite, Oct 23, 2004.

1. snakebite

snakebite Guest

what does its mean when it says 68/118 for the bottom bracket? is 68 the spindle size? whats number in 68/118. does the 68 represent the bottom bracket width?

2. Ebon Dragon

Ebon Dragon New Member

118 would be the width and 68 would be the shell size (im pretty sure). Edit- oh yeah by width i mean spindle length

3. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

Here's a couple of pics, with an example of bb sizing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

The question isnt stupid at all. I didnt know that either. Duh.

Thats why there is a beginners section, so people dont feel stupid asking questions.

Neatly done Roman.

5. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

i think it's just the way the photo is taken, but man i want my echo that colour.

6. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

Roman, seriously what is with the lights in your basement? or is it just a screwed up setting on your graphics program? It's gay teletubby style

- Joel

7. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

Haha, I wish those were my lights :p

I also wish I had that Echo control frame. The picture is from hbtrials.com, most of their silver frames (so, all but the caisso) have that certain pink glow.

Also, i just noticed i wrote 63 x 118 on my paint diagram. It's supposed to be 68 x 113.

8. durkie

durkie Member

so does anyone know anything about running 73x... bottom brackets in 68x... shells and vice versa? i hear talk of using spacers, switching out nondriveside cups, etc, but don't really know anything about it as far as durability or other issues.

9. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

The raceface dh bb's are made for 73mm shells, but they come with a 2.5mm spacer that you put on the drive side cup to be able to use it in a 68mm shell. That's all you need for any 73mm shell bb; stick a 2.5mm spacer on it.

Now 68 in a 73, that's gonna bring your non drive side crank arm closer into the frame, and there aren't really any spacers you could use. If the 68mm shell bb doesn't have flanges on the cups, it will work, just thread both cups into the frame, and leave a couple of threads exposed from the bb shell. You just have to center it, but it's not a big deal.

For 68mm shell bb's, that have flanged cups, there is an option. I've heard of people that have bb's with plastic cups, that just filed the flange down, and threaded the cups farther into the bb shell. I don't know how good this idea is though.

10. Poopslush

Poopslush Yarr!

I hate to bring up another old post but I thought it would be better than starting a whole new one. I was wondering if every bottom bracket on every bike (mod/stock) had the same internal diameter.

11. Poopslush

Poopslush Yarr!

Shit, I would have edited my last post but it wouldn't let me. What bottom brackets do ya'll run (mod guys especially).

12. Poopslush

Poopslush Yarr!

13. felix

felix New Member

The axle might be a bit short. Measure the bb you're currently using and get one with the same dimensions.