Observed Trials banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I was looking for a lower cost rear wheel for my hydroxx 26"(2007 frame). I was thinking of getting this wheel (better price than the try-all replacement);

09 ECHO SL 26" Rear Wheel
http://www.biketrialseller.com/product/310

But they've advised me that it wont work with my frame. I'm not really sure why as they didn't expain their answer. Has anyone else out there ran this hub on a hydroxx, or can think of why it would/wouldn't work?

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
as long as its a 135mm and not the 116 (modstock) hub itll work. axle size will be the same...

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
cant imagine why there would be... unless its some weird deng thing. but im pretty sure itll fit ok. hopefully someone with more experience with echo will chime in soon!!!

but as far as i can tell it should fit... :)

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
it WON'T WORK!

You will have no room to put snail cams tensioners.
In theory you can only use try all hub with koxx frame.

Because the 135mm does include hub+spacers+snail cams.
So as the echo is yat at 135mm with only hub+spacers: it won't work.

But you can always use some ingeniousness to adapt this hub to your frame.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
it wont work unless you modify the hub spacers. chris and i had to hacksaw the spacers to allow room for the snail cams.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That makes sense. I remember my old monty mod had the snails outside the dropouts, whereas the koxx has the snails on the inner/hub side of the dropouts.

Might just be safer to stick with the more costly try-all hub...

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
even if you had to cut the spacers, i would still choose the ECHO SL hub over any other fixed hub on the market. I have had mine for 5 different bikes now, and it is still holding up great. the splined cog interface is much more reliable (i've seen try all hubs strip) and easier to replace cogs with.

do it

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's the word from tartybikes.co.uk;

This hub will work with a little modification. You will also need the Echo SL Snail cams which have a 12mm hole to suit the SL axle.

To allow the hub to use snail cams you just need to take 3mm off the inside of each axle end spacer.

Regards, Stan.
You're right kev:)

It sounds like a pretty easy mod, I might go this route after all.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
133 Posts

·
bike part distroyer
1,500 Posts
my bad,i didnt know it had a 12mm axle.

·
Welcome to Estonia.
785 Posts
even if you had to cut the spacers, i would still choose the ECHO SL hub over any other fixed hub on the market. I have had mine for 5 different bikes now, and it is still holding up great. the splined cog interface is much more reliable (i've seen try all hubs strip) and easier to replace cogs with.

do it

I second that thought. The splined rear hub interface is the second best thing Deng did for trials after providing trials-specific frames at reasonable cost.

·
Releasing the Kitties
724 Posts
you can use a rockman rear hub they come with multiple spacers for differn't frames. I just built a h0le rim on one for my V2 coust and it's been really good

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I thought they came with removable spacers that allowed you to run 3mm thick snails and still have a 135 mm spacing?
Nevermind, I checked the one I got for my next stock. It only has one big spacer on each side.

The other catch with the Echo SL hub is that the snails may not be large enough for the frame. I think some (all???) Koxx frames require slightly larger diameter snails. Which means you'll need Try-all snails (or ones that are that size)

This is fine, but is complicated by the fact that one side of the axle is 12 mm instead of 10. You can either get a machinist and shrink the 12 mm axle to 10 mm, or enlarge the hole of your snail.

When I had the Hydroxx mod with the 116 mm Echo SL hub, I had the 12 mm axle turned into a 10 mm axle; that allowed me to use Try-all snails.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts