HS33 issues and (good) questions :-D

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by aj2four0, Nov 29, 2004.

1. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

I recently went to a 4-bolt frame, and am now using an hs-33 rear. This is an older style one, with a solid looking lever. A friend of mine also has an hs-33 rear, and his lever is a slightly newer style (but not the 2005). His lever blade looks more like a shimano lever blade (carved out back).

His rear seems to feel about 3000x better than mine. We just bled mine as well, and we are not sure how long it has been since his was bled because he got his used as well.

My question is, what could be making his feel so great? is there that much of a difference in the levers (or pistons) that would account for this? To my knowledge they are both bled with magura blood.

The main difference between the two are how fast the pads release from the rim. My lever feels much slower, while his retracks quickly, almost like a v-brake. The feel really is night and day.

Let me know what you think, thanks!

2. felix

felix New Member

There are different kinds of Magura blood. The blue "Royal Blood" got a viscosity of 5, while the green blood is thicker.

If you have bled your brake with the blue blood, then it's probably the pistons which cause the different feeling. Maybe they need lubing to reduce the friction.
    Remove your pads, pull the lever and drop some oil on the pistons. Also put some oil on the master piston inside the lever.

3. daveanscombe

daveanscombe Guest

felix

felix what oil to use ........what the magura oil

4. felix

felix New Member

Fork Oil 2,5W is better and cheaper than Magura blood, but it's shit compared to water.

5. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

i was using the pinkish stuff. Is royal blue a lot better than that?

6. felix

felix New Member

I don't know the pink fluid. In Europe there's only green and blue fluid.
    I assume pink is similar to green.
    I remember when I changed from the green blood to the blue. It felt much better.
    Light fork oil is a little bit better than the blue blood, but nothing beats water.

7. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

i don't want to destroy my seals.. i may try a water bleed on my front magura brake if i get a new rear line and olives...

speaking of that, does anyone know where i can get those monty (i think) blue magura lines? The ones that dont' require the crossover between cylinders and flow directly into both. Also, best place to buy olives and other little maggie parts?

8. AndyT

AndyT New Member

webcyclery has all you need. Or my closet, but you live far away.

9. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

word

webcyclery does not appear to be carrying the monty blue lines anymore.. only place i can find them is from 'monty canada'.. i dont' really want to deal w/ getting them from there. Any other ideas?

(i think most trials riders that don't live in CO wish they did... at least i do.. it'd make life easier to get parts (used) and group rides have to b the shiet.)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  10. Elan

Elan steve french

possibly trialsin.com if not, dont owrry, i only know of one of those brake lines aroundh ere, not much better to worry about it much if you axe me. water wont ruin your seals if you spray them with some kind of seal oil every now and then. i used fork fixion for fork seals at hte beginning of hte summer, i have 0 problems since then.

11. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Have you called them? Why do you want to blue line anyway? Its the same as the black, a little more brittle...thats it....looks 10x as gay as the black thats for sure.

edit:

after reading your post, you want the ones with the line splitters not the crossover? Thats just a line splitter, it has nothing to do with the cables...you order it seperately- its a triangular looking thing w/3 barbs.

12. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

ahhhh no shit, awesome.. thanks

if i was going to get new line, i may as well get blue caus it'll match my frame.. but i don't really care, i thought that line splitter came w/ those lines etc.

Has anyone run a splitter with good results.. it seems that it would make the pads move more evenly.. but.. i'm a little hesitant because your taking a line and splitting it into two other lines, with the same diameter. pressure in the lines will drop due to the increase in area... and when u let go of the lever, pressure will increase again as the fluid tries to get back out and might actually go slower... meh, i don't know the internal workings of the pistons in relation to the crossover anyways.. so i guess... my conclusions really don't mean shit.

anyone know more abotu fluid dynamics and the composition of the pistons in hs33's?

i should just shutup and go ride.

but theirs snow on the ground. and i'm a pussy.

13. Turtlehead

Turtlehead Guest

fluid dynamics... the only thing I know is that fluids don't compress... and if you're worried about more line causing problems... just think of the difference between a front break line length and back break line length... huge diff and you can't even feel a difference really...
    I personally think the splitter is just a pain... it means you have to bleed twice...

14. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

You can't feel a difference? I sure can. I've always supposed that theres a certain amount of fluid friction in the line. Longer line = more friction.

Are you sure about that? I might have to disagree. Think about it.

15. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

i agree you have to bleed twice... once at each piston.. unless you want to try bleeding upside down.

i can feel a massive diff between front and rear maggies as well

16. Turtlehead

Turtlehead Guest

Ha... alright... I recant... I can feel a difference... but it surely isn't enough to piss and moan about...

quite sure about this... let's think... even if you turn your bike upside down, you have to bleed twice... unless you have the massive syringe from the art store... (I love those things) so... yes... it's annoying to have to bleed two sides... maybe I'm lazy... but hey, I'd rather be riding

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  17. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

if u turn it upside down and bleed backwards... u'd only have to bleed once... u'd push fluid from the lever (assuming you can get a fitting w/ the right thread), out of both pistons... gahh..

this isn't even the point.. bleeding is easy.. i just want my lever to feel like butter. Anyone know where i can get the royal blue stuff in the USA? seems like everyone carries the red only.