howto pivot while backhoping

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by goose, Nov 14, 2004.

1. goose

goose New Member

So I've been trying really hard to learn howto change direction or spin while backhopping, and I'm getting really frustrated. I'm wondering if there's any advice out there or a theory of what initiates the rotation and how to stay up on the rear while doing it. If there are any drills or practise routines that helped people learn this, that would be great too. Looks like from videos that most people yank and turn the bars in the air, but my attempts have been very unsuccessful. Either my bike turns and my body stays in the original direction (making me have to drop down the front), or my body turns and the bike stays in the original direction (making me have to bail). Very frustrating.

If this should be in the beginner area, moderators please move it there and I apologise. This seems to me an intermediate-ish question.

Oh, and if this has come up on the forum before, please post a link to it. I couldn't find it with a couple of search strings.

thanks kindly,
    Goose

2. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

Keep the bike close, use your biceps. If you are spinning to the right, pull your right hand towards your right shoulder, but don't let the bars turn, counteract with your left. Hard to explain. It's something that you just have to work on. Try to get a few degrees at first, then a few more. Try to get all the way around, then try to work on staying in one place.

3. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

I hate to admit but my choco foot is the left & I can turn left fine but I struggle like hell trying to go right...

Gotta practice this...

4. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

ThOrSHAmmEr3, i advise the opposite. when you pull on the bar to turn, let the bar turn. not that much, but it definitely helps me.

go to rear wheel without a turn first, and only start turning when you have the bike up and under control.
    i just went out and did a couple in the garage. i turn the bars about two inches towards the way i want to turn as i'm about to hop, straighten out the bars in the air, land with them straight, then turn them a bit on the ground before/as i start to hop. i don't think i intentionally turn the bars, it just happens and it helps.

keep practicing and it will start to make sense.

5. kp

kp New Member

My opinion on turning on the back wheel:

First, definately it helps to keep the bike close (front end high)

If you break the physics down, in order to start turning from a stationary hop, you basically need to apply a torque between the ground and your tire just before/as taking off from the ground.

1. When you're in the air, with your arms, turn the bike a bit in the direction you want to turn.

2. When you land and you start to come up for your hop, turn the bike BACK the opposite way you want to go as you're coming up and you leave the ground. Then, you have basically applied a "torque" to you and the bike, and you'll turn in the air a bit. Then you can repeat step 1 to keep turning.

If you time this right, you can actually keep acccelerating your rotation hop after hop.

Also, if you watch some riders in slow/mo, you can really see this happening. For example, one of TRA's videos he does like one or 2 hops to get 180 degrees. He really preloads and twists the bike really far in the air which allows a rn even more extreme preload the next hop...

I hope this makes sense to someone.

KP.

6. JK

JK New Member

Bend your arms and legs more. You'll have more control over the bike on back wheel.

7. RobbieP

RobbieP OTN FOR A THOUSAND MORE YEARS I SAY

fucking practice

8. goose

goose New Member

cool

Yo all,

went out thismorning and tried the suggestions... big improvement... it is much easier when the bike is closer. Thanks to all the helpfull posts:)

happy hopping,
    g

9. klophaus

klophaus Guest

I had trouble with this for awhile. Three things really helped.

1. make sure your brakes lock up really well. You should be pedal kicking to correct really. My wheel would sometimes move which messed things up.

2. quick smaller hops rather than big hops. I found running a little higher tire pressure helped with that to learn.

3. A longer stem made it quite a bit easier. Don't know what your running, but that kind of goes along with keeping the bars close which was already mentioned.

10. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

haha...........

11. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

I dont know, it's hard to explain. The guy who said effing practice probably has the best tip of all.
    It's been said, but keep the bike really close, try and stand up tall. Dont really pedal kick while doing it, just hop. Pedal kicking while turning is really unaccurate, for me at least when I am trying to hop around on say a curb. You just roll off the thing.
    Also, it's more of an entire body bounce thing...rather than preload and hop. I find if you kind of jolt your entire body along with the bike, minimizing most movement. That helps...if you understand?? Like I said, it's hard to explain.
    Good luck.

12. AgrAde

you should never stand up tall. back straight, but legs bent.

13. goose

goose New Member

rrrr

I dunno guys. The whole 'effing practise' thing seems really to be a lash out at people who need help with that they take for granted, or something. I know that there are loads of newbs who post basic things like
    "how do I pedal kick"
    or
    "how do I bunnyhop higher"
    yunno, something that could easily be found on FAQ's and Trials Tips sites. But, when it comes to something a little more advanced or more subtle that can't be found or is difficult to find in the aforementioned places, why not post something helpful. I mean, it's not like you get to a sport-ish level and don't already know that you have to practise a lot. All I'm getting at is that pointers from peers really help, so please keep the comments constructive.
    Again, thanks for the comments, as they did help me out. Had I not posted, I'm sure I wouldn't have made the progress that I did yesterday and today. A little more practise and a whole new set of lines will open up:) Wuhoo...
    peace out,
    goose

14. klophaus

klophaus Guest

meant to say: You shouldn't be pedal kicking to correct really.

15. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

Understandable...But people did give you tips. So you can't complain ;)

16. goose

goose New Member

nope. can't really complain.... nope nope....

17. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

[​IMG]

I'd say ride with hips bent and legs fairly straight.

18. AgrAde

not everyone is on a 1085 wb bike with a 110mm stem.

you'll find you can't have your body much lower than that compared to the bars without a decent effort. most people learning have their body too high because their legs are too straight, therefore i tell them to bend their legs and bam, they click and hit the proper posture.