How to take the cranks off???

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Rob.K, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

I disassembled a bike of mine and the only thing left on the bike are my cranks. Now I have never taken them off before and I don't know how to, do I need a special tool?

Also how do you take the BB out??

So far I took off those 2 bolts on the crank but it isn't coming off....

Please halp me out if you can.

Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  2. Elan

Elan steve french

u need a crank puller. you can probably buy one from you lbs, or they can do it for u for a little money.. bb requires a special tool also.

1 person likes this.

3. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Fuck that is what I thought!! Thanks though!!

4. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

If you think you're going to be doing this several times (crank / bb removal), you're best off buying the tool, as Elan said. If not, see if a friend has the tool or if you can get the bike shop to do it for cheap.

5. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Well I'll ask some people around if they have a tool, but the thing is I don't want to lug my bike all the way to the bike store if I don't have too!! Labor is cheap here so no problem but it's just a pain.

6. klophaus

klophaus Guest

I bought a kit for $40, I think from performance, that has most things you need to work on your bike. Considering buying a crank puller at a shop is about 10, it's a pretty good deal if you can stand to wait a few days. Seems once you ride trials, you need to switch out BB's, swap frames or somethings pretty regularly. I don't regret picking one up and the tools seem to hold up for what I do.

7. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

Yah, the best option for you is to buy tools. Every other option is just shit. The local bike store charged me £15 to bleed my maguras back in the day. The lowsey fucks, i didnt have a clue about bikes then, but i later got a magura bleeding kit for £20. Now i can bleed whenever for nothing. I dont even have to use royal blood, just cooking oil or water. To extract the cranks you'll need a crank extractor tool. Mine cost ~£5? You screw one parts into the crank after youv removed the bolts, then screw something inside this that goes into the thread of your BB. You'll EASILY figure this all out when you purchase the tool. As for the BB you'll also need a tool for this, go buy one, its totally worth it. When you've got the cranks off just undo to lockring and then move to the other side and undo the actual BB. Easy peasy, which way you turns the BB cups is dependent on what BB and frame you have. Again, you'll figure all this out when you get the tool, just make sure you buy the tool, and i dont go to the bike shop.

1 person likes this.
  8. DaneBrammage

DaneBrammage Guest

And lastly, know what parts you have on there now before you go out and buy a tool. Crank pullers are sometimes specific whether you are running ISIS or square taper cranks/bb. And you'll want to know what bottom bracket you have on there too because not all bb removal tools are the same. They are easy to use just like valiumlaw said.

9. JonMacKinnon

JonMacKinnon Guest

The other day I had to remove my ISIS cranks with a ST crank puller. I put a 5 pence coin in the bottom of my cranks so the extractor had something to push against, before it was just mashing up the threads on the BB. *shamless plug* There is a more in depth description on my site, http://dotsixtytrials.tk

10. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

A dime, US or Canadian will let you use a standard crank puller like Jon said without destroying the crank bolt threads. I've been doing this for years, because I'm too cheap to buy a ISIS puller. It was really necessary for Truvativ ISIS bb's, since they use large diameter crank bolts so it's easy for the normal crank pullers to just go into the threads instead of pushing against the spindle. My Raceface bb uses smaller diameter bolts since the spindle is thicker, but still I use a dime.

11. Haukaas

Haukaas New Member

no no no, to remove cranks: hammer+2x4,
    to remove bb: hammer+blade screwdriver.

you're welcome.

12. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

so just put a dime exactly where? I need to pull out my cranks/bb when i get my frame, and don't want to fuck anything up.
    Much help for me would be appreciated.

13. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

Here's a cool paint pic to show it. I made the dime the same colour as a penny just to make it easier to see. A penny is too big to fit btw.

[​IMG]

14. Elan

Elan steve french

man..that blue handle..is that trademark infringement?

15. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

cool, i understand now. Thanks!

16. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

in australia no coin fits right. but my mech bolt that attaches it to the hanger works.

17. JonMacKinnon

JonMacKinnon Guest

(Y) .

It was trying to screw into the crank bolt holes when I did it so I used a coin.

18. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

No,no,no :nono:

19. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

you can get a sturdy little plug that goes into the ISIS BB which works well...I think shimano makes them...that's your best option if you don't have a convenient coin/washer.

- Joel