how to let cuts heal

Discussion in 'The Gutter' started by funkysensubean, Jun 25, 2004.

1. funkysensubean

funkysensubean Guest

i got a pretty deep cut on my shin (from pedals) so i wrapped it in gauze. after a while, the blood in the gauze and around the cut got hard and stuck together. is it ok to remove the gauze and rip off the hardened blood?

2. [BMF] Chris

[BMF] Chris GTA MUTHER FUCKER!

yes, it wil hurt like a banshee, but its ok, i suggest pooring hydrogen proxide (80 cents at any walgreens or rite-aid) over the cut, and then applying (da-na-na-na) neo- (da na da da na) sporen, then wrap it again. you should take all the bandages off, take a shower, clean the cut well, even though it stings, then redo everything i just said, do that ever night for a week and if it dosent look better by then, go to a minor medical center, ive seen pedal wounds get infected, and its not pretty, hope i helped-
    Chris

3. evan

evan Guest

I'll first dump hydrogen peroxide on it. After that I rub the stuff out in the shower (pun intended) and then put Neosporin on it.

4. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

i just read somewhere that hydrogen peroxide doesnt really have any "real" anti-bacterial properties?

5. Superficial

Superficial Guest

Cells kill themselves with peroxide :)

6. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I go into the shower.

Come out, if its still bleeding by the time I'm going to bed i'll put a bandaide on it so i dont get more blood on my sheets.

unless its on my face, in which case I'll put neosporin on it 1930 times a day.

7. B1105

B1105 New Member

yes the shower idea is good, bandage it up before bed, wake up, take off the bandage, get the urge to pick the scab, and just let it get some air during the day

8. atypical

atypical Guest

You MFers are all retarded. 1. Clean with Iodine/Betadine - not hydrogen peroxide- like the person said above- it kills cells, yours too. Alcohol sucks, but it really kills bacteria as well as your skin, I'd just go with the betadine soak for 5 minutes. 2. Once you can stomach the sight, look at it and clean it up and put it back together, with some butterfly bandages if possible, at least keep it together with something. 3. Of course you can place a little superglue over the outside, don't let any get inside the cut, won't heal. Now, yes- there's some small amount of heat released from using superglue that may cause a faint amount of tissue necrosis and this is how Dermabond is difft. from superglue- 1 silly methyl side chain or someshit. Anyway, once the glue is on, you don't wanna mess with it for 3-4 days, it'll flake off the surface with dying cells. DO NOT get it wet, no water on it at all after it's set up- it'll mess up the glue and more importantly it takes germs into the cut, so leave it DRY. 4. Use some of the worst thing ever made for deep cuts- neosporin, it's a whole lot of vehicle with some rather good antibiotic coverage, the vehicle is basically vaseline and if it gets in between the cut sides, it'll take longer to heal together- so use just one dab at the very beginning- on the surface!- and leave it bandaged. Of course you want to look at it to see if it's getting infected and proceed to a doctor if it looks worse. They'll probably make you pay more for fucking with it in the first place.

1 person likes this.
  9. nidoss

nidoss Guest

you should only use h2O2 on small cuts, deeps wounds isnt a very good idea

10. Nikolai

Nikolai Member

2(H2O2) --> 2(H20) + O2

peroxide breaks down (with the help of catalase in your cut) to form water and oxygen, the "active ingredient" in peroxide. The bacteria that tend to cause infections are anaerobic and oxygen is lethal to them. The argument against using peroxide holds for most topical antiseptics. When you apply it, it only gets at the surface of the wound, it doesn't get at the deep down (assuming the cut is deep) parts.
    Your body is fortunately well suited to deal with cuts. It uses blood and other fluids to seep out of the wound to push the nasty bacteria out.

My recommendations for cuts:
    1. If you need stitches, get them. If your cut is "talking to you" it will take so much longer for you body to fill in the mouth with tissue than if you got a stitch or two and your body only had a cut to fix.
    2. Clean it up with soap and water and just let the thing dry out and scab up. This will cause worse scarring and is slower to heal, but is easier to deal with (you don't have to do anything -vs- changing bandages and gauze periodically plus the shame of being a "man" and wearing a bandaid...). It also gives you something to pick at in a week or so.
    3. Check for signs of infection: red, swollen, painful, cloudy drainage.... if it's infected, get to a doctor.

11. Ryden

Ryden Guest

If it has scabbed up and you don't want it to bleed again after you rip the gause off, just run it under warm water. The disinfecting is good, and after it is clean give it some air so it can dry. If you keep it wrapped up, you'll get a weird mushy wet scab that will come off easily and is therefore more prone to infection. You'll be fine.

12. AndyT

AndyT New Member

you are all fucking pussies.

wash it out with some soap, or anything that isn't water from a wading pool in the congo. Leave it, and don't worry about it.

13. senorplinka

senorplinka Guest

I concur. Suck it up. Chicks dig scars...not.

14. Elan

Elan steve french

i ususally let my jeans soak up the blood and i keep riding. then the shower (like andrew said 321423 time) is good for the disinfecting. and then the sleep and the next day are good for the drying

15. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

uh huh, whats yer point?

16. manimal

manimal New Member

don't use peroxide or alcohol, saline solution (for contact lenses), its what paramedics use.. it doesn't damage the tissue like peroxide/alcohol...

but personally.. just ride it off and say you were attacked by a squirl if anyone asks..

17. Elan

Elan steve french

then anyone wont kiss you because you have the rabies!!!

18. rider ns

rider ns New Member

important---try to let it get as much air as possible it makes it heal faster