How to...FFW on crank?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Bloodhound, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

I got my cranks, but the bash on and started to screw the FW on clockwise, I got about two turns (almost nothing) and it wond budge anymore...how do I get it on and how can I be sure its going on right (not stripping)?

Thanks
    Steffen'

2. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

thred it on strate... not crooked like you were.. my free wheel went rite on with ease.. only used one finger once i had started it.. ;)

3. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

It cant get any straighter. I took it off and removed the greace, the threads look mint original condition. It gets on fine and goes about 1/5 of the way and just suddenly stops...?

4. seandom

seandom New Member

mine did the same thing. be sure its on straight first.

then i just attached the cranks to the bb, and pedaled. it tightened down nicely. take your time, dont be too forcefull tho.

5. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

does it go on parrallel to the bash or parallel to the threads?

6. seandom

seandom New Member

the bash...i think.

7. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

fuck! I've been trying for 4 hours now and I dont see anyway this FW will fit this cranks, its as if the threads are completely different. Has anyone ever heard of this problem? I get it on straigt, it screws for about 3cm and then meets really tough resistance. Visually there is no problem, the threads are in mint condition.

8. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

If you're trying to thread the freewheel on so it appears to be parallel with the threads, you're in the process of stripping your crank arm. If your bash is seated perfectly against the arm, the freewheel should run parallel with it.

If you've already cross threaded the crank arm, try backing the freewheel off and then starting it out again correctly. Go very slowly when putting it on, paying careful attention to the alignment.

Sean

9. manimal

manimal New Member

sometimes as well there might be some metal bits from the machine shop that you don't notice, most new threads are a little bitchy at first.. just back it up, make sure its going on right and try again with a little more force..

10. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

Sounds like you've cross threaded it. Chase the thread if you can (I don't know who will have a tap or die set with those specs). If you can, take it to a machine shop and have them chase the threads. see if they can get it on for you.

IF you've stripped the first set of threads, you will have no seated threads in that spot. So, you've effectively lost those for holding power.

11. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

The cranks arm is DEFINATELY fine, Imay not have owned one of these things before but its threads are sharp, deep, clean and perfect spiraling correctly out to the edge. I did back it out and it came out nicely. The threads do catch, and goes fine but only for so far (about 3-4cm) then meets tough resistance. It screws on straight and flush to the bash, not the threading, which I do know would be wrong. Its really weird, I guess I'll take it too machine shop or mechanic to take a look at it. What would it look like if it was stripped?

12. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

Just look at it you can see if its stripped most of the time. If you are sure its not stripped, I am putting money on metal shaving on the crank or FW.

13. manimal

manimal New Member

brush it out with your tooth brush, better yet someone elses tooth brush using some oil, than regrease, and try again.. I can't see it being a different thread pattern, especially if it goes on 3-4 cm,...

14. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

funny. my new cranks suck more balls than any set of cranks has ever sucked in the past and probably ever again in the future. isis part of the crank will not fit over an isis bb spindle.... pedals will nto thread into pedal holes.... oh yeah and free wheel. how about the fact that i have never had a workout working on my bike until now. these things suck. they will be sitting in the trash if i can ever get them apart ever again.

15. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

Kevin and me have the exact same problems with the exact same cranks, except my pedals are too loose, perhaps it can be fixed with a bunch of lock-tite.

Thanks for the input everyone, I've tripple checked everything, but its as simple as the thread size does not fit. Either the threads on the FW are not deep enough or the threads on the cranks are too large. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet.

16. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

yo bloodhound. Here is the fix. All you have to do it take some fine grit sandpaper you can pick up from your local hardware store. Wrap the sandpaper around the threads and sand them down slightly. After you sand for a bit, regrease the threads and see if the freewheel will go on, if necessary repeat sanding until it will go on. If you have any questions fire me a PM and I'll help you out. Take care.