How not to jap...

Discussion in 'Your Bike Trials Media' started by cck, May 10, 2004.

1. cck

cck Member

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

HIlarious... mainly because i have been there. i love how you just sort of look around liek you arent quite sure where you are after it happens. i think i did the same exact thing right after i checked to see if my bits were in tact.

your weight trasnfer forward was a little off timing and you didnt push through the slap quite enough. that was huge by the way you sick little grom bastard.

3. chaloux

chaloux Party all the time.

ah. I am trying to learn tapping on a mod. I don't need to see any bails! I am stealing the thread, but also have a question: do you start to learn taps low and work your way up, or do you start pretty big right away? Also it seems like you're going pretty fast (and should be, that's 11 skids).

4. WhiteRavenKS

you should start on something you can barely get with a normal up. then work your way up. the bigger it is the more it helps to be hauling balls.

5. oicdn

oicdn Guest

DAMN THAT'S ALOT OF SKIDS!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Pancho

Pancho New Member

I could rear wheel handle bar hieght without a tap, then began learning taps on something an inch higher. I'm up around 3 or 4 inches above handle bar now with a slap, but I haven't tried anything but a three pedal (which for non Colorado riders equals a one pedal, or one full revolution of the cranks). I can't get the timing right on anything more than a three pedal, but I'm happy enough since comps seem to rarely have that much run up.

7. alexm

alexm Member

ok that was huge! nice setup. that bail could of been so much worse, even if you had just come down and rolled your ankle. thanks for sharing, i dont know how your american funniest home video show works but if its like australias, you could easily earn some money from that.

alex

8. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

i learn taps on my mod fairly recently. i found that working on something about 1 inch lower than your near best height is good (IE-you can make that height every time no problem, but can't make much more than that consistently). just get started on them, you will figure them out soon enough. aim for the corner of the object. you WILL need more speed for slaps. i used to do little run up (bad foot, good foot and up). however, on slaps i found that i would always wall off the back end when i didn't get enough speed. it took a bit of getting used to, but now i start out with about 1/2 pedal rotation of good foot (to get a little speed), bad foot, good foot and up. this way i will always have my weight far enough forward, as well as being able to get a good upward lift from hitting the object far enough.

anyway-good recovery! any chance you might make a video of you making that beast? :bigthumb:

9. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Kevin, Alex and others who have the tap down... what's your max height with a 2 or 3 pedal (emm.. Colorado style 2 or 3 pedal like the Pancho man says- I thought that was pretty universal?)? Just started practicing them and love this move. So much easier for ups and staying on backwheel. So far I'm around 3 1/2 feet-ish and some change.. Good times.

10. WhiteRavenKS

good bad good- i max out around 40 inches. add another pedal stroke and i can get like 47 now. two pedal i can hardly even do. something i havent been working much on.

dont mean to jack this thread but the "pedal standard"... everyone in the world does it regular way. colorado people seem to do it in metric pedals (every time you push down, its a pedal, fractions suck why do i want to explain a stupid 2/3rds pedal up... retarded but people still use it, whatever).

11. Pancho

Pancho New Member

My best ever would be 39", so I'm thinking that you've gone higher Kevin. I have boxes in my driveway that are 36", and they are dead even with my handlebar. That was with a metric 3 pedal. With a 4 pedal I eat teeth.

12. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Yes, this pisses me off. Andrew made me feel retarded for thinking that one full pedal revolution (good forward to good forward) was one pedal. Now I know that Colorado is just crazy.

13. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I just measure things by how they go.

I pedal once, my feet are switched.

I pedal once more, my feet are switched again.

If i pedal twice, like start with my good foot- pedal once (now im on my bad foot) now i pedal again and I'm back to my good foot...that is a 2 pedal to me. A 1 full rotation pedal to anyone else. Unless you have only one foot, in a full pedal rotation you are pushing down twice.

14. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

what if you roll into your tap good foot forward, do a 360 degree turn of the cranks then at the end, push with your good foot again for the 'take off' (and ratchet back landing with chocolate first)

...is that a two or three pedal? three "pushes" of the pedal but only two half rotations.

very nice bail, reminds me a lot of the one in COtrials 6 with kevin's rather shocked face.

15. sebLG

sebLG New Member

holy crap dude, you had like ... a near death experience! :ugh2:

16. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

how not to jap?!?!?!?! ahahahahaha that;s the funniest thread title i have ever read. OMG, i think i just shat myself.

funny vid too

17. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Haha.. I like how you kicked your bike away. I usually land on mine. Which hurts in varying degrees.

18. planetary1

planetary1 New Member

that's why if you are not from Bizarro World or Colorado you say..

One pedal revolution, which means one complete pedal revolution, ie, good foot to good foot.
    half pedal revolution means um...half....start on bad foot finish on good foot...

19. cck

cck Member

matt, could you host this... now my endididegoo account is fucked and i cant even watch my own vid :(