how many grinds per wheel?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by durkie, Mar 4, 2004.

1. durkie

durkie Member

what number of grinds are you guys getting per rim? how long does each one last you? i get two weeks or so max per grind on my monty mod rim, which doesn't seem like it would take too long to kill the rim. i'm wondering if i should just get a bunch of cheapo rims for my stock and grind those rather than grind my D521 (which i'm running now) and lose it in a short time.
  2. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Got more product than Ron Popeil Staff Member

The D521 is much harder aluminum. You probably won't wear the grind down nearly as fast as you did with the monty rim.

3. trialsbug

trialsbug New Member

I have several ground rims. The grind on a Monty rim only seems to last a couple days. I also have a couple D521s that I ground and I only have to grind them every couple months. The Echo rim that I am using right now seems to be somewhere in between the Monty and the Mavic. I have had it about a month and it will be needing another grind soon.

I usually don't grind my rims as soon as the previous grind starts wearing down. Normally if I keep them clean the brakes grab well even with a worn down grind. Sometimes I just use Simple Green until it gets close to time for a comp and then regrind. This should make my rims last a little longer.
  4. stocktrials

stocktrials Mitch.

I am up to my third? fourth? grind on an Echo/Alex rim.. they last about 3 months, this last one went for almost 4 but it got shit in the dust so I grinded again.