How do you run your cables?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by airmj, Aug 2, 2004.

1. airmj

airmj Guest

Alright i've been fiddling around with my v brake setup, trynig to get the most out of it, and now the only thing left is the cable length...

I read somewhere that the most flex from vbrakes comes from the arc at the handle bars, yea it's true. So i tried running as short as possible, as shown in the red line, and the lever feels incredibly tight. But when the bars are at it's normal position, and not turned like in the pic, it's feels quite ok.

Another friend of mine runs it really big, like in the green line, and the brakes are incredibly squishy~

Just wondering how much of an arc do you leave in the front for all you vbrake users? Does it really matter?

Attached Files:

2. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

No. Long enough so you can do one complete spin of the bars without fucking anything is good though.

3. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

i can turn my bars 180 degrees before either my front or rear brake cable gets stuck, depending on which way they turn.

didn't measure or anything gay, thats just how they ended up

4. bwagner

bwagner New Member

the quality of your cable housing also affects this in a big way. Although quite expensive those newer style "nokon" housings go a far distance in making this measurement all but obsolete. They're pretty much compressionless, so a little extra housing up front doesn't reallt mean much more squish. I currently run HS33's, but I figure sixteen years of service at my local bike shop might qualify me to answer this question. And before anyone starts to bash the LBS mechanics, I only told you that to quantify my experience, not to imply that working at a shop makes me knowledgeable or anything. Also a big source of slop or mushiness comes from the meeting point of your "noodle", check that spot out on your brakes the next time you do the squeeze test, the correct length housing there also makes a HUGE difference. Well good luck with this one, but you'll get it sooner or later.

P.S. On a different topic, what program did you use to draw that diagram??

5. airmj

airmj Guest

used flash mx for the diagram "

how do i change the housing for the noodle? i thought that part is always fixed?, as in, it's metal. oO?

6. bwagner

bwagner New Member

Sorry, i guess I didn't elaborate enough. I just meant the small section of ousing that goes to the noodle. Just watch the noodle while squeezing the lever. sometimes theres a little too much movement there causing maybe a small rocking of the noodle, or maybe a pulling of it because the housing is too short. It's just an often overlooked section of cable that can cause your brakes to feel a little mushy if not done right.

7. sebLG

sebLG New Member

what is the noodle? :dunno: lol

Last edited: Aug 2, 2004
  8. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

curved metal pipe at the brake end of a v-brake cable, turns the cable 90 or 120 degrees.

Also colloquial for a head, specifically the cognitive component.

in either case it's REALLY FUCKING USEFUL SEB !!

- Joel

9. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

i run my rear cable so that i can x up w/o it messing up the brake, its a little squishy, but i dont mind the squish that much. if you get the nokon cables you can have a loop big enough to do 6 bar spins and it wont compress, that stuff is incredible...

10. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

nokon cable is gay :momaru:

11. felix

felix New Member

No, Nokon is great!

12. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

i was just having a joke about the endless nokon cable debates on this forum.

13. airmj

airmj Guest

hey man u were right. i tied down the hose to the noodle section and how the brakes are much firmer. :wiggle: