How do u remove tar?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Dr Game, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Dr Game

Dr Game Guest

I have over done tarring my rim, how do I remove it?

2. asavage97

asavage97 New Member

pressure washer takes it off but make sure you take tyre off first or you'll rip it to bits.

3. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

No need, white spirit takes it off a treat in my experience, just put some on a cloth, rub it around your rim, and it will practically melt the tar off, then clean it off with a dry cloth, maybe wash it with soapy warm water to remove any residue, if you want.

Anyway, White Spirit is the answer to your question.

4. Dr Game

Dr Game Guest

what about paint thinner?

5. AndyT

AndyT New Member

How about a grind.

6. toni

toni New Member

Haha yeh! It really does melt off! Petrol does the same and also multi purpose cleaner from my laundry

7. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

Just use paint thinner, or acetone. Tar stands no chance against the brute force of acetone and a rag.

8. Jos

Jos I'd hit it!

Or you can take the wheel off the bike, remove the tire toss the wheel into the freezer, and come back to it after a few hours and peel the tar off.
    This of course, will only work if you have a large enough freezer to accomodate.

9. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

I use steel wool because the liquids are to easy..I have time to waste

10. GarthMc

GarthMc Active Member

GOD DAMN!! You must use a whole 2 litre tin of the shit if you can peel it off!!

But yeah as everyone says, the easy way is some form of peterol based sovelent..

11. kaar3l

kaar3l New Member

gasoline :naughty:

12. Peace

Peace pedocrab

with your EYE! because thats what you deserve for using tar in the first place!
    Peace

p.s. or a grind will do it and make your brake super dooper

13. Tanner

Tanner New Member

fucking :rofl:

14. madbiker66

madbiker66 Jigga wot?

Grinders seem to get it of well...

15. Ryden

Ryden Guest

Well when I tried soft roofing tar (which makes your brakes worse than a clean rim) instead of road tar (which improves your braking), I just ran through a puddle and pedaled around with may brakes on.

16. Jos

Jos I'd hit it!

Yeah, you might have to put on more before you can take it off. I guess i failed to mention that.

17. GarthMc

GarthMc Active Member

ahhhhhh I see I see, I was gonna say........... you'd need some seeeeeerious negative preasure in your lines to pull the pads back off the rim with that much tar on there!

18. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

most any solvent gets tar off.

19. thread revival!

have a look at your brake pads as well, the tar sticks to the pads.
    sand em down with sandpaper.

i run one bike with tar, one with grind :)

20. planetary1

planetary1 New Member

fuck that! I'll keep using tar and a grind to insure that my brakes never, ever slip under any dry circumstances

I've always used rubbing alohol if I need to clean off the tar... I also use it to clean off brake pads...it gets them perfectly clean--takes the tar right off.

on my rims though, I just wait until the next grind, then all the old caked on tar is gone.

but, I only use a little tar so usually after a couple of wet rides the tar has more or less washed off anyway...