Horizontal drop-outs?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by bwagner, Nov 21, 2004.

1. bwagner

bwagner New Member

Would anyone here forgo the ability to run gears, and buy a bike with horizontal(bmx style) drop-outs, so that you can adjust the chaintension without having anything(like a derailleur) hanging down in harms way. It could also eliminate the annoying chainslap and derailleur banging against the stay. I know it's not rulebook friendly, but this is more of a poll, not a serious question. Just post your two cents on this issue if you have a few moments to spare. Also, I know there are issues with this style of set-up too, like the ever annoying rear wheel moving in the drops, but it could be a viable trade-off for me.

2. Echorider316

Echorider316 New Member

I would love to have that kinda set up. If it wasn't for the stupid derailluer rule I would run things that way.

3. Tanner

Tanner New Member

I already have a mod...

4. Elan

Elan steve french

you can get a custom bike made with that. no problem. been done before. i dont thinkl theres enough demand to facilitate a major company producing this design however.

lookj for a picture of poncho's bike

5. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

The problem is a 5mm change in chainstay length on a stock bike effects the way it rides considerably. I dont think i would get horizontal dropouts for this reason.

6. doctorT

doctorT Member

lining up my vee's was a bitch on my mod, i dont like horizontal dropouts. white industries? makes that hub with the crazy off center axle so you dont have to use a tensioner with vertical dropouts. that would probably mess up your brake alignment too though... i like having a derailleur.

7. CoppellStereo

CoppellStereo Ruff Rider

i love the horizontal drop outs, the bike i rode for a year, with 26" wheels had them and I had no problems with them. it made the bike smooth and quiet, no slap or any noise of that sort, the only bad thing is with the chain tensioners and stuff make chaning a flat a big ordeal, but i loved it.

8. atypical

atypical Guest

just keep your vertical dropouts and use this: shadow interlock chain from danscomp.com-- if you're off by less than a (half)link then you'll have to live with slop or change gears a little. something like 28$, way less than replacing chain tensioners
    [​IMG]

9. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

px is going to release a ss zebdi

10. Elan

Elan steve french

i hope it is longer than their non ss zebdi or no one will buy it

11. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

na its adjustable shorter, same front center, 15.25-15.75 stays

12. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

The only pain in the ass about horizontal drop outs is when you land on one and slightly crimp the damn thing so you can't get your hub out.

13. trauma100

trauma100 Modest

ya the only thing that would screw you up is the c/s length , but if it went from say 14 to 15.5 that would be cool.. and I will throw cash down right now for one!

14. David Weyman

David Weyman It's always 4:20 in Austin!

15. bmorekirby

bmorekirby I have bloody shins, yay?

i have to try that!!

16. TooSicKs

TooSicKs Guest

I'm getting a custom frame with 15" min stay horizontal drops. As for comps, if they're not ss friendly, I won't ride.

17. oicdn

oicdn Guest

^^^looks like you won't be riding cause wasn't the only comp that was SS friendly the one posted not too long ago?

18. TooSicKs

TooSicKs Guest

IDK, but fontana was ss friendly. There's a few reasons i don't really want to compete. One is the singlespeed issue. Tell me why in "stock" class i can have a bike with 3' wide bars, no seat, a 22t front chainring, bashguard, and ridiculous silly geometry, yet i can't run ss? I think it's the Shimano conspircay. If everyone in trials went ss they wouldn't sell 10 short cages a year to every trials rider. I'm tellin ya man, it's a freakin conspircay, i think Shimano is secretly owned by Microsoft, I think there's a gunman behind that grassy knoll.