Hopping

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Ryden, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Ryden

Ryden Guest

Heyo,
    So I'm almost there in terms of backhopping. But there are still a few things messing me up. If I get up on my rear wheel by simply shifting my weight back, I can get up and hopping, but my cranks not being level messes me up. So I'm trying to get up by doing the small pedal roll. But with all the things necessary to get up that way, I'm already too off balance to hop when I get up. :ugh: And for now, I can't really spend too much time getting perfectly balanced before I get up because my front brake is messed over. Any tips?

2. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

Put your ft wheel on progressively higher park benches.From there lift a titty bit and hold. Set down.repeat. Practice >>NOT <<hopping
    just be steady and sure..For it is when you have stopped hopping that you can pedal kick in a more controlled fasion... Blah blah..

3. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

You could always trackstand with your front pedal down a bit before pulling back to backhop. Or you could wait until you have good enough balance to trackstand, at which point pedal kicking may actually make a difference in your riding.

4. Ryden

Ryden Guest

Or you could wait until you have good enough balance to trackstand, at which point pedal kicking may actually make a difference in your riding.

5. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

Ok, you should know that not having your pedals level does not mess you up. If you watch most people, their pedals will not be parallel to the ground, but in line with the chainstay. This is so there is less chance of a pedal catching, and you are always ready for a smallish lurch with no set up. Pedal rolling on to backwheel is much more easily understood once you can lurch.

Learn to backhop, learn to lurch, and in the process you'll learn a lot more about bike control than if you just trackstand or convince yourself that the position of your pedals when you're on rear is wrong.

6. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

From here:

It wasn't meant to be offensive, but it sounds like your balance isn't so great yet. Everyone's balance improves the longer they ride and yours will too. Just practice more basic stuff until your balance is good enough that you're ready for rear wheel hopping.

Bill