Hope trials brake

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by RomanR, Apr 14, 2004.

1. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

2. Elan

Elan steve french

good thing i understand what the fuck they are saying

3. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

someone please translate

4. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

la granouille mange la pamplemouse

its close to spanish, and ive had to take french since i came to canada so i can read most of it.

you can use this thing to translate.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

5. average mike

average mike Guest

According to google: "Here first photos of Hope trial which will be marketed this summer. The brake tested is incredible, touched the east excellent, braking extrement powerful. The final version will have a diff. cylinder, therefore a version even more powerful making it possible to pass in diameter of smaller rotor = < 160mm." Anyone who can figure out what the hell they mean wins a cookie.

6. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

They don't give much information, they just say that the brake tested is incredible.

7. trialsbug

trialsbug New Member

Here is a site that will translate text or whole web sites:
    http://babelfish.altavista.com/

edit: You guys are quick. Three people posted before I could paste a link to the Babelfish site.

8. cck

cck Member

my brake touched the east excellent all the time

9. KenC

KenC Member

Here is the gist of the article:
    * The brake will be marketed this summer
    * It's very powerfull, with excellent modulation/feel.
    * It will be possible to put a disc brake in the rear without regretting not having hs33's
    * The production version will have a different cylinder (in the caliper I assume) that will make a more powerfull brake, allowing for a smaller rotor to be used.

I knew taking french in high school would come in handy :D

10. Triple Eight

Triple Eight Guest

:rofl:

11. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

its funny, i was forced to take french for two years and didn't pay attention one bit, the only words i can remember are 'chein' 'ordinateur' and 'yacht'
    ...yet i can understand most of that article. :?

man, that lever is far away from the bar. i probably couldn't reach that?

12. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

I don't know what's so special about this brake.. it's a mini lever and the calliper looks exactly like the hope mono mini which I'm using. They only removed the gold thing from the calliper.

13. luv_ridin_koxx

luv_ridin_koxx Guest

That look realy sweet do you think they will be coming to england this summer too

14. sebLG

sebLG New Member

i want one! specially the tryall rotor. plus in the koxx days video where i think vcincent was using one of those it seemed to not slip ... not one tiny bit ... u know the move where he goes up to front wheel and just locks the brake upp then goes goes into some nosehops. anyway!!! yeah, awsome ... the only problem is i like the silver of my hope mini caliper alot better ... but that wont matter anyway.

15. MikeTheBike

MikeTheBike Active Member

If it's so much more powerful and their intention is to replace rim brakes on the rear, why aren't they testing it on the rear?

I just don't get how it can be more powerful. Based on the apparent size of the caliper, it doesn't appear that the pads are any larger. Without larger pads, you can't have more contact area. Thus, the only way to get a more "powerful" brake is to apply more force to the rotor.

It also appears that they are trying to lighten the rotor. Why then is part of the rotor's contact area not used? See below pic:

[​IMG]

Pardon me if I'm a bit skeptical. I'm a big proponent of disc brakes but I just don't see anything radical here. Maybe they're using a higher friction rotor or something.

16. KenC

KenC Member

By changing the shape of the pistons inside the caliper, they will do just that - increase the applied force. I don't feel like busting out the physics here, but you can theoreticly lift up a car with something as small and easy as a syringe, for example, if you work the hydralic lines right. It's a matter of the ratios of the pistons between the lever and caliper.

17. MikeTheBike

MikeTheBike Active Member

No need to bust out any physics, here's a link explaining hydraulic multiplication:
    http://science.howstuffworks.com/hydraulic1.htm

So, based on this information, assuming Hope did not increase the diameter of the caliper pistons (which it appears in the pics they did not), we must assume that they increased the length of the cylinder in which the lever piston runs. That would explain why the lever seemed so much further from the handlebar.

18. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

does no one else think/notice the maggie lever is also way the hell away from the bars... maybe someone out there has bigger hands than most of us?!?!

the reason part of the rotor is not being used is because koxx forxx are retarded and use a disk mount that is not stanard. they probably cut the rotor to fit but the wavey pattern doesnt match perfectly to where it needs to be.

why modify and make a specific brake? seems like an awefully expensive way to get a better trials brake. why not just use a different, grippier (but faster wearing) pad compound? oh.... wait... that would make sense. :bigthumb:

19. sebLG

sebLG New Member

because this one says try-all on it. mmmm ... :slap: lol i love that emotinicon

20. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

If a 150 +lb moto trials bike can use tiny 4 inch rotors ,why the hell cant we?????????
    The biggest reason no one uses discs in the rear is the risk of bent rotors .Great idea hope your still a bunch of inbox thinkers! :ugh2: