Hope rear caliper on the front?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Chris, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

is there any chance to fit a hope mono mini 160 rear caliper on the front? I have the koxx fork for 190mm and therefor I need a 160mm caliper. Currently I'm running a hope 165 caliper. So my disc should actually be 5mm larger, to have the appropriate disc size.
    With the hope mono mini 160 caliper, it would be fine, but it's for the rear. Any chances to solve this problem?
    An alternative would be to buy a hope 180mm caliper for the front. That would mean using a 210mm disc. That's just too much power I guess.

Chris

2. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

i dont think they would work. im looking at the IS disc mounting diagrams, and on forks, the disc tabs are not inline with the inside of the droupouts, they are 4mm farther out. on the rear droupouts, the disc mounts are flush with the dropouts. so unless you faced 4mm from the disc tabs, your caliper will sit waaay too far in. heres the link to the diagrams.

http://www.7thexchange.de/download/magura_bike/anbaumasse_brz_is2000.pdf

3. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

when you move a rear caliper to the front, you have to use a larger rotor. this gets tricky because people in the trials industry dont have the word "standard" in their vocabulary. normally moving a 6" rear caliper to the front would mean you would use a 7inch rotor. it works the other way too, if you put a 160mm front caliper on the back you would have to run a 140mm rotor.

the only thing i can suggest is mounting the caliper on your fork without the wheel on or anything and measuring the radius from the center of the axle to the farthest point away from center on the brake pad. this should give you a pretty good estimate of what rotor size you will need in order to make this set up work.

4. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

but won't there be a problem mounting the rear caliper on the disc tab? I mean is the distance between the two holes the same, for rear and front caliper?

anyways.. if I put a rear caliper on the front, I'll need a bigger rotor as you said. But I already HAVE a big one - 190mm. So the next one would be 210mm?
    If this is the size I'll need, I could also take the 180mm caliper for the front and won't get any trouble with a rear caliper not fitting properly.

5. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

on trials-forum.co.uk the guys say, the calipers for rear and front are the same. That would be awesome.

6. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

the bolt pattern should be the same. a rear should mount right up to a fork without any issues.

i cant really be of much more help because the forxx have that absurd mount that follows no standard. if you do have to go to the 210mm rotor, i would say try it. there is no such thing as too much braking power. i though the 8" rotors (203mm) were too big for trials until i tried it and was blown away.

7. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

I think I'm going for the mono m4 which has 4 pistons (mono mini has 2), but combined with a 210mm rotor, that would be really heavy... I could compete at DH comps..:D

8. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

They are the same. But a caliper made for 165 mm disc at the rear would need a 185 mm disc if you put it up front. We did this on a friends bike. Problem is that the hope lever has a reservoir which doesn't work very well if you put it up side down. My friends brakes are not vey good at the moment....

9. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

I already have a hope mini front. I'll keep the lever and only replace the mini 165 caliper by a mono mini 160 caliper.

10. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

203mm rotors would be killer

11. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I thought it was if you have a 6inch rear caliper...when you mount it on the front...you'll now have an 8 inch....cause that's how my shitty mechanicals were when I went through that whole front brake fiasco....