Hope hubs eh? eh?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by hophopsnap, Mar 18, 2004.

1. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

Im looking at getting the Hope Bulb rear hub.. is it any good? thanks

2. bigd

bigd Guest

ive heard bulb hubs are crap. the hope xc is where its at.

3. sebLG

sebLG New Member

thay arent bad at all, should last a fair while, but you can be guarunteed they will break after a while, but otherwise they are fully sick, i liked mine til it broke. but dont worry it wont be for a fair while.

4. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Why are you interested in a Hope? The Hopes are durable from what I know but the engagements not so hot. If you can't afford a King or a
    Hadley try to find a Shimano silent clutch. Cheap and reliable hub, much better engagement... a little mushier feeling though.

5. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

"little mushier" what? try stepping into a big bowl of mashed potatoes. now imagine that every time you try a move. i would rather have solid ingagement 24-36 times much more than "infinite" gooey horrid engagment that will explode in no time and kill me.

hope xc hubs are great. if you dont want to save up for a king, the hope xc is a great choice.

6. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I have to agree with Kevin, the only time I've felt so much mush is when using a shimano silent clutch. They're horrible.

7. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Don't get me wrong Kevin, I can't stand to ride a silent clutch anymore... hell.. even a King feels noticeably slow after riding my Hadley. I've used a few in the past freeriding and learning trials though on different wheels, as have friends of mine and they've been very reliable. One of them is a pro level trials rider who rides nothing but silent clutch and goes huge on them without hardly a problem in years of riding. His is laced to a D521 too. I still wonder how he puts up with that skinny ass rim and the mush. But.. roller clutches don't have pawls to skip. I still say it's a great cheap hub for anyone up to sport level.

8. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

sorta off topic....you mentioned roller clutches. does that mean it has infinite engagement? stealth uses that same system no?

9. sebLG

sebLG New Member

silent clutches havnt got good engagement, definately not instant, but anyway i really loved mine after my hope bulb got completely destrayed and while i was saving for a king. king is awsome now that it has finally sopped skipping ... LOL!!!

10. Beeco

Beeco Guest

Hope bulbs are smashing little hubs if you are smooth, if you arent then an XC would be better. The bulb has 36 engagements which tend to slip abit more than the XC that has 21.
    I use a bulb and it's fine, but thats becuase i'm a light guy and not too harsh ont bike. I've seen bigger folk destroy them real fast though. XC's stand up to a lot more abuse but the drwback is less engagements.

11. Shipley

Shipley ..........

I would argue that a silent clutch is a fair bit faster engagement than a 36 point hub and to me that's 'good' by comparison. The mush can blur that feeling, but it can be worked with in a good way. Some people don't like the jarring bang of widely spaced engagment (leads to very unsure feelings when kicking)... and silent clutches can't skip and, well, they're silent- nice plus.
    Andreas.. not sure what you mean by 'infinite engagement' but the shimano's system is the same sort of set up as the Stealth. Apparently the Stealth version of the roller clutch ramps up more quickly though giving you engagement more like a King. I haven't tried the Stealth but would like to. Small thing about the roller clutches is this system gives you the same engagement point no matter where in your rotation you start to push as opposed to pawls, and the fewer you have the worse it is, which leave more or less space before engagement depending on where you are on the rotation of the hub.
    DISCLAIMER: I DON'T WORK FOR SHIMANO NOR WOULD I WISH A SILENT CLUTCH ON ANY RIDER WHO HAD THE OPTION OF KING OR HADLEY.
    .. didn't wanna come off as the poster boy for silent clutches :greddy2: , just makin points.

12. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

the stealth hubs are awesoem. i have two sitting here... they are good stuff. real solid engagement.

silent clutch hubs feel like they have wind up to me... like in cartoons when people run away rear fast- their legs go for a few steps then they zip off real fast. thats what i get form a silent clutch. it's one of the least confidence inspiring things i can imagine- right up there with throttle grip and mystery creaking sounds.

i wouldnt wish a silent clutch hub on anyone i know. i wouldnt even tell a beginner to get one. the money is much better spent being put towards something much nicer. i would rather take some time off and not ride than spend money of a hub that could detonate at any seconds and take me out with it.

just my thoughts.

13. Elan

Elan steve french

infamous king hater andrewt has been known to threaten his bike with the hope XC at times, because he claimed it was better than king...and with his last king hun, he was probably right. i ahve never ridden one, but i have heard only praise for them. hope XC. or save up. king it.

14. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

how about the DT Hugi?

15. Janson

Janson Guest

DT Hügi hubs are nice.. I use one.

The driverings on mine wore out in about 8 months, which isn't that good.

Solid engagement, only 18 points per revolution though.

They're light and easy to lock out if you want to run FFW, so they're pretty good hubs. They're pretty expensive though?

16. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Great hub. Had one for a while till it started skipping really bad. It essentially got loose and couldn't figure out how the heck to tighten it. I think they require special tools... (might be wrong though)

17. leeson

leeson Guest

The hope Bulb is a great hub. I have had a buld for about 3 years, and it has only been back to hope twice once the internals were screwed the other time i broke the axle. Looking at over a year between it going back. Best thing about hope is they have a tendancy to fix things for free. Both times my hub has gone back it's been fixed for free. :bigthumb:. In my opinion i wouldn't bother with an xc just go straight for the bulb.