Hop up preload direction?

Discussion in 'West Coast, USA' started by oxygen_77, Apr 5, 2004.

1. oxygen_77

oxygen_77 Guest

Hey,
    I have a question about where I should preload for a hop-up. For example, say I have my front wheel up on an object and I am hopping in place. To get my rear wheel up is it better to preload my body forward almost kissing the front wheel then leap up and forward or preload back over the back wheel and add in a slight pedal kick while leaping up and forward? Thanks!

2. RideManuals

RideManuals Guest

well it helps to be at an angle for either move means less distance you have to throw your rear wheel. I just learned how to do this move. What I do is I put my front wheel on the object, let go of my front brake, bounce arround til I get my balanced then Ilean forwardpush down on the front compressing the front tire and my upper body and then I jump up. If you were to do it with a pedal kick I would suggest having your front tire on the very edge of the ledge, making it more of a surge. Hope this helps Watch a lot of vids. No pedal kick when you are really close to the ledge, pedal kick when front tire is only on the edge of the ledge.

3. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

lean over the front

4. oxygen_77

oxygen_77 Guest

Thanks for the info. I guess that explains why I've been having trouble with my ups. I usually preload backwards and then try to leap forwards. The only reason I asked was I watched some videos where the people were preloading forwards on their hop ups.

Hey RideManuals,

You said you let go of the front brake while hopping with your front wheel on an obstacle. I usually let go of the back brake and keep the front locked up. Doing it the other way causes my pedals to become unlevel which then makes me lose balance.

5. seattletrials

seattletrials New Member

we got to go out and ride sometime soon. get joel, fred, and the smith brothers and some other people together and just session somewhere. steps by the burk gilman trail are fun, and lower woodland park with the logs there are fun as well. if you know of any other places to go, that would be awesome too. Joel just got a new DeSalvo trials frame that he's planning on building up sometime soon when he gets more cash for bars and crank. I'm still riding my identiti, at least until i can aford to buy a DeSalvo. those frames are sick, i went down there and watched mike hand build a ti mountain bike frame.
    if you want to go out for a ride, give me a call sometime. my number is 206-619-7289.
    take it easy
    -Jerry

6. oxygen_77

oxygen_77 Guest

Yeah, we should all get together for a ride for sure! Fred and I have been going to Gasworks alot lately. There seem to be lots of different obstacles there to play on. I'm trying right now to work out a deal to sell a Le Toy III frame that I have laying around so I can buy a Norco Evolve frame and a better bar and stem. If that sale doesn't work out, I've got someone else who is willing to trade me some hydro brakes and a nice stem for the frame. Next time Fred and I plan to go riding I'll give you a call too!

Jason

7. Elan

Elan steve french

i will trade a koxx

8. oxygen_77

oxygen_77 Guest

Stock or Mod?

9. Elan

Elan steve french

10. oxygen_77

oxygen_77 Guest

Are you located in or near WA? Why do you want to get rid of the frame? What's it's condition?