Hooks...when to start?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Andreas, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

i know i know, another topic of hooks. this ones' different. i know it could be a tuff quesiton to answer, seeing as most of you learning this as it became introduced as a new skill right?
    anways, im currently uping near 30". it's not too high, but every week im improving. im pretty comfortable with ups to front wheel (sidehops aren't too great, but pedal ups to front wheel and pedal kicks to front wheel are good (25"ish)). so here's the question:
    When can i start to practice hooks? im on a mod bike by the way, and would like to try and learn them. do i need to get better at ups first, or can i just go straight to the hooks?
    thanks

2. Elan

Elan steve french

yo ucan up higher than i can... and i will be trying some hooks here within the next week hopefully.

3. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

start when you feel like it...

4. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

yeah, start now if you want. i'm starting to learn them now and i can pedalup ~35".

a guy i know can't rear wheel a two foot wall but can hook nearly shoulderheight with no bashguard... :greddy:

sorry to hijack your thread; but at what height do taps start to become useful over pedalups? i feel like i'm maxing out my pedalup. maybe i just need more practice and strength :(

5. stocktrials

stocktrials Mitch.

I wonder that too.. my pedal up is reaching about bar height, maybe I should learn touch to get higher? Then hooks after awhile??

6. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

about the slaps-i used to have to slap to get up a 27" wall, then after upping that wall about 1 a day, and then coming back to it after a week long break (no upping that wall) i could pedal up it (no slap). i think that you just need to figure out different heights. yes, i do know that im not upping as high as you guys, so you don't have to listen to me.
    definately learn slaps though the do help a lot (you can totally feel the difference between ups and slaps)

7. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

I can only occasionally rear wheel to bar height,but am getting hooks on near vertical stuff at about 5ft 8".

8. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Damn...you guys can SPRING into the air, LOL. I can occasionally Pedal kick up like tire height..so that's what, 28-30 inches? I WISH I could Pedal up bar height. I can barely pedal up like 18-20 inches.....

Heh, hooking, I wish I could keep my balance once my front touches the object after being on my rear.....

Sucks too, I work a 40 hour week now, so I only get weekends off to practice...my learning curve just hit a stop sign :down: :rofl:

9. afrobot

And there you have it sports fans!......A mental barrier!!!!!

Stop with those stupid thoughts! Though some may think I have the perfect job,working as a salesman in a mailorder bikeshop.I have no weekends these days and my schedule gets in the way of riding on the usual wed night rides. I still go out in the morning for an hour,and ride...alone and practice while no one is watching.
    Trials has the fastest learning curve of any sport ever! Skateboarding and BMX is tough...Quit whining and practice..And when you arn't practicing ,watch videos and STUDY every little movement. Study those BT poland trick vids X 1,000,000,000.
    Going from beginner to sport should take anyone with a good healty physique about a year ,maybe two for your next step.
    The best thing you can do i,s get someone else into the sport.Friendly competition between friends helps the most....And most of all
    talk lots of shit to eachother :slap:

10. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Getting somebody to buy a bike that you can't sit on has to be THE hardest accomplishment to accomplish. :rofl:

Seriously though...if I could get my friends into it...it's be SOOOO awesome....wait a minute, I have no friends :rofl:

11. afrobot

12. atypical

atypical Guest

Rent a friend, join a fraternity

13. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

yo andreas.....DON'T WORK ON HOOKS. You are still so young. You should be honing in your balance, the most inportant thing in trials. If anything, just keep working on your pedal ups to get up stuff. But balance, balance, balance.

14. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

k thanks for all of the advice. seeing as graham has seen me ride i'll just wait off. im improving fast so maybe in like a year or something. thanks