Hook to rear video in here

Discussion in 'Your Bike Trials Media' started by alexm, Apr 2, 2004.

1. alexm

alexm Member

Bill, you can move this, to the media section if you want, i meant it more as a tutorial type thing i guess, thats why i posted it here, but im not bothered.

its pretty lame, because the wall isnt dead vertical, and the first of the two hooks is a bit messy but it might interest some people. might help people out, or people might be able to give me some pointers.

no rear brake on the first step of the hook, only when i land on rear.

video link here - http://canberratrials.com/vidslong/hooktorear.mpg

Alex

edit - does kinda sound like my back brake squeaks huh :? , i was sure it was off! the hooks would only work really well when i made myself lay off the rear brake.

2. thetart20

thetart20 TartyBikes

Quick question - how did you go about learning? Lower wall or more sloped wall?

Any tips appreciated (from anyone), cheers :)

3. cogmog

cogmog Member

someday!!!! :? :? :?

4. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Alex, that was beyond sick! You want to give us a measurement on that wall?

5. Allmjm

Allmjm New Member

Damn, very cool. When your shoulder (?) gets better lets see it done on the stock. Do you think it would be any harder on the stock? or a little different technique?
    Martin

6. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I've got the hiv that shit was so sick

7. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

toight, like a toiger

8. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

i just made 4'7" hook to rear.. i feel specail

9. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

thanks for the vid. I'm a ways off before I can do that!

10. planetary1

planetary1 New Member

very sweet, that second one was prrrfect.

Both, try at least as high as your max up to bash. Start on sloped walls and work your way up to vert but the slope makes it much easier to learn.

11. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

Seems like some of the other guys try to hop from the hook position and sorta lunge to rear while that dude totally went to front and then rear, whichever, i think thats sick.

12. alexm

alexm Member

Thanks for the replies guys. That wall is about 5ft, i'm sure thats what i measured it at before, but next time i'm there i will measure it again.

To learn this, basically its counter productive to try it on shit too small as you have no upwards momentum. try it on as high as you feel comfortable, like you dont want to push yourself too hard so that the front wheel is only just making it over, but as i said before, too low just wont work too well.

slant is also helpful, i need to try this hook on pure vertical, and i know the perfect wall too. anyway, the slope shouldnt be too sloped, otherwise the technique isnt really going to be what you need. dont get me wrong, it can be a whole lot less steep than the slope in this video, but dont start getting rediculously horizontal haha.

also speed!!! and plenty of the motherfucker. to make sure you can get your front wheel over the top of the wall, you can suss it out by going medium paced but when you really want to get these bastards to rear you need as much speed as you can muster.

Weight forward!!!!!

Slant your bike a little on landing, so that your front foot has a little more clearance, when i was learning this my front wheel would sort of twist a bit, like in the first of the two hooks in that video. this technique helps a hell of a lot though.

At LEAST a full pedal rotation for power and speed, if not two. i only do one, but i should probably learn two. this will allow you to gain power and speed into this move, and you need that shit, otherwise it just wont work.

NO BACK BRAKE when you first land in the hook position, only put it on when you are about to land back wheel, this has allowed me to make this guys UCI instead of just to bash.

also, practice alot, it feels really unnatural, especially on vertical walls, so dial them on sloped shit first.

feel free to ask more questions

Alex

13. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

sick! reall good job keep it up. thanks for the pointers but i won't be useing those any time soon unfortunately

14. Elan

Elan steve french

ok, so the wall i want to try it on is like a retaining type of wall, with like a 2" drop behind it to teh grass... do you understand? if i hook that, is it still legal? haha i donno, but a wall where its falt on top is scarym so this way, there will be a little lip.

15. Joe B

Joe B New Member

fuck me sideways thats a fair hoik Alex. i just saw it while looking back through some pages. no pedal scrapes or anything, tres good! not too flash at the old hooks my self. also i wouldn't mind seeing video of that 6 footer hook that you told me about via pav/adrian. :cool:

16. oicdn

oicdn Guest

That was SIIIIIICK!!!!!!

17. pav

pav New Member

ahh joe seems you finally found that "perfec time for my first post" very well done

now i think its time for you to get msn like you have been saying for the past month or so
    and if you get msn i can send you that clip

pav

18. alexm

alexm Member

joe - pav doesnt know what he is talking about. the hook is 5ft no doubt. ive never done bigger than 5ft. sorry to let you down :(

i agree you should get msn though, i'll try and get my self up to melbourne to learn a thing or twenty from you too.

Alex

19. pav

pav New Member

believe me when u ride with joe u will learn more than 20 things, i did

20. sebLG

sebLG New Member

yes but alexx is :eek: and moreso than alot of people .. so probably only about ten things? :p