Homemade, or custom made parts?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by bwagner, Sep 2, 2004.

1. bwagner

bwagner New Member

Does anyone have anything homemade on thier bikes? I've made a few things recently and really like the fact that it's the only one in the world. Anyone make anything they'd like to show off, please post pictures of all of your custom stuff. Even if you didn't make it yourself, but at least be honest and give credit where it's due, name the maker of the stuff your posting!!

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

i had an awesome cassette until big bear where i had to run a crappy shifter that blew up all my cogs when the chain skipped rolling up a spool. god damn shitmano shifter. thats it unless yu count my super secret carbon fork! omg- top secret!

3. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I too had an acrylic cassette. It was the bees knees' till i forgot I had it or something.

I made my own grips out of jesus.

4. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

I made some single speed spacers out of pvc pipe, that's as close as I've gotten to actually making anything. I gave them to a friend in exchange for a used Sram 7.0 cassette.

A few parts on my bike are just modified parts, like brake pads pedals and tensioner. A white powdercoated frame with spiffy gold stickers, and some spray painted parts. I think I'm the only person to have only 1 sidewall ground ahahaha. And other not so custom stuff like a down tube guard that says the name of the frame.

Back in my trek bruiser 1 days I made chainguides using random stuff, zipties steel stuff, crappy chainguide rollers, and such, haha. And a couple months ago I made a single speed tensioner deal that could be ran with up or down spring tension. Much like a singulator etc, but with a wayy stronger spring. It's pretty nifty for a home made job, though it's not on my bike.

If I had access to metal working machines, I'd be making stuff like bashrings, 4 bolt to v adapters, hangers, some tensioners, boosters maybe, and whatever else I could come up with.

5. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

some adapters for v-brakes on teh echo. also i locked my hub with a zip tie. i'll have a booster as soon as i bother.

yaay.

6. jobottDMB

jobottDMB New Member

I had some pedal cages made for my VPs out of steel and i havn't been able to bend them at all but problem is the spindle is still aluminum so i keep striping out the threads and having to heli coil them. I also had a guy make some custom boosters for me...well not exactly custom, just a copy of the outline of the threshold but about twice as thick. Ill post some pics tommorrow if i can borrow camera.

7. pav

pav New Member

Mickey (mickey_b12 on this forum I think) and I made our own trueing stand, works wicked! Thats about all from us so far that I can think of, but we are full of ideas!

8. BrettM

BrettM New Member

My old and soon to be new frame was custom and had a post mount rear brake only. I'm pretty sure that hasn't been done before. I also got a mount on my seat tube that I could use to put my grip shift on. Some Koxx riders have since copied that, or maybe made bolt on adaptors for it.

As for parts. My rear Sram 9.0sl medium cage derailler was cut down and re-drilled and is now shorter than a road derailleur. I made my own 4bolt adaptors. I also use a bit of an aluminum spacer in between my grips and my brake levers so the grips can't slide in.

For my next bike I'm getting a custom rigid fork made with a post mount on it. I believe that may be a first as well.

9. Janson

Janson Guest

I made a kickass truing stand which turned crap, and two pairs of awsome v-brake adapters.

And some magura pad to v-brake post adapters ala starbike.

10. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

I cut the gussets ,disc tab,and tailbone off my lb ,and have internal cable routing.'04 XTR cranks with no bashring.

And of course my infamous anti-saint funbolt creation devised on a picnic table
    more than a year ago . It still has yet to die, after numerous sidehops to derailleur stall.

I'm currently whittling a Vinco replica- replica out of african teak wood.

11. Gaps720

Gaps720 Guest

you run a starbike v janson? i have one up front...

12. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

13. DAVE-O!

DAVE-O! Guest

heh i'm going into mech. engineering, and at my school they have a huge shop, which includes a huge CNC machine. all i have to do is go down there, ask the instructor to teach me to use them, and it's totally free, i just have to buy materials. i think i'm gonna whip me out a booster or maybe design some adapters sometime in the near future if i have some free time. i suppose i could do a bash too...

14. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

someone should make stems or handlebars or something other then boosters and adapters...just an idea...

15. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

Dave-O -
    It takes a while to "whip" shit out on a CNC machine. Especially if you have to learn it from scratch. Then you gotta figure....at very least 3-4 hours per piece when you factor in cleanup. I'm an ME undergrad with shop access, but I haven't made much because it's much easier to spend 20-30 bucks than to spend a whole day making shit when you could be riding. Sorry to be a buzzkill, but that's just my take - good luck.

edit:
    makin a bash on the lathe.....now that could be done pretty quickly

16. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

I made my own "cog carrier" for the 19t cog on my kings alluminum drive shell.

17. antidis

antidis Guest

i dremmeled the shit out of my trek derailur hanger untill i could fit it on my trials frame. it's just held on by the QR, i dunno if that counts as custom. My replacements in the mail.

18. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

I just made a gay-bash guard on my downtube from PVC. Oh, yeah - "custom" hacking on my triple traps to make them usable.

19. bwagner

bwagner New Member

What did you use to do the interenal spline pattern? Is there a Broach with the pattern available? I'm new to this whole machining thing, but cannot figure out how to do this. Do you have any pics of your part??

20. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

Well, to tell you the truth, I cheated on that one. I couldn't figure out how I would make the spline, easily anyway.
    So what I did was I took my 19 tooth trials cog, and welded two 15t cogs on each side to expand my trials gear from 2mm to 6mm's. This way it distributes the torque a little better.
    Works well, looks neat. I was happy.