home made frame (frome sunny England)

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Ali C, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Ali C

Ali C "bmxer"

Hi guys, I dont post on here often (I am a pretty new member) I thought I might share my frame with ya.

I have been waiting a couple of weeks for it to be painted (plastic coated ^_^ ).

It took me roughly 3 weeks (working 2 days a week on it), I didnt use a jig of any kind, I am suprised at how straight it turned out :S although I did make a mistake somwhere so it now has a 64 degree head angle :( , but it is an unridable model, so it doesnt matter so much.

I used just plain old mild steel, and it weighs around 15lbs! :">

[​IMG][/IMG] nice custom stickers

I have used twin toptubes (dont say I have copied, I have some drawings back from 1999 with the idea on!) I slightly kinked them to give more clearence.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

I have also used a 100mm wide bb and straight chainstays (also notice how straight it is :) )
    [​IMG][/IMG]

a close up of the brake mounts again, dont say I copied, I have also had this idea for a long time (weather it works or not it another question lol)
    [​IMG][/IMG]

I kinked the chainstays just where the tyre would go, I have put in my wheel once and it had plenty of tyre room, even for my 2.5" koxx tyre.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

a nice open-end throat gusset
    [​IMG][/IMG]

a close up of the dropouts. I like the idea of a hole, the wheel cant fall out even if it tryed! also notice how the right side dropout is longer than the left, this is so there is room for a mech if you put one on (I for got to drill a hole for one though :"> )
    [​IMG][/IMG]

just a view from the front
    [​IMG][/IMG]

I hope you like it, I am currently building a jig, so my next frame should be rideable.

Oh, and the best thing is, it didnt cost me a penny to make, in fact, I got payed to make it, how good is that! :w00t: [/img]

2. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

looks very straight for no jig. well done.

3. Ali C

Ali C "bmxer"

cheers mate, hopfully this jig I am making works lol

oops, I just realised the spelling mistake in the topic name, oh well

4. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

The only way you'll learn how to build a bike, is to try. Good job.

There are places where you can buy dropouts pre-made. Its an industrial bicycle company... don't remember the name though.

good job.

5. Ali C

Ali C "bmxer"

I know you can buy dropouts, head tubes, bb etc etc from places like kenisis, easton and framebuilding.com, if there is anywhere else I would be very thankful if you could tell me, although there is somthing nice about making your own :)

6. Elan

Elan steve french

i think bikeforest.com too.

7. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Looks nice :bigthumb: I like the color (or colour if you prefer :p )

8. BiKe4EvEr

BiKe4EvEr Guest

pretty sweet! i like the design for street etc. but er, evil bikes uses the same design i don't know if they were made pre 99 though. in any case, SWEET

9. Ali C

Ali C "bmxer"

those evil bikes have had that twin top tube design for ages havnt they? maybe I subconsessly (sp?) picked it up:S lol
    when I said I havnt copied I meant in terms of that proto leeson and that pancho (sp?) frame that was on recently

My old pashley gave me the idea colo(u)r

10. sebLG

sebLG New Member

dude! u sure thats home made??? :eek: but still :bigthumb: . and arent you using a dereileur or anything? also i dont quite understand your brake mounts concept, why are those gussetty things there?

11. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

I too dont get what those guessette things are?
    and how do you get the rear wheel in?
    100mmbb!? I've never seen one, wont it be hard to get?

VERY good job! I expected a POS from the title, but no.

12. Elan

Elan steve french

i didnt understand the brake mounts either, but isee that there are the obvious 4-bolts for maggies, and the ones with the gussets are for V brake, im assuming. i dont like the 100mm BB, or the kinked chainstays...

13. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

theyre 4 bolt mounts. the gusset thing has a mount right over the top 4 bolt hole thing. the 4 bolt brackets fit snugly between the frame mounts and the gusset mount. it seems like a normal 4 bolt booster bolt will work, and the frame acts as a built in booster this way. real clever design.

14. oicdn

oicdn Guest

^^^OOOOHHH, OK, I see how those gussets on the rear triangle work now that you say that...pretty neato...So umm....what kinda tubing you plan on using....

I was expecting a RAW frame, and a POSSIBLE POS when you said no jig...but DAMN....that things pretty neato...nice color...why Plastic Coating? Looks gunky when at the open gusset near the neck....

15. sebLG

sebLG New Member

how much did it cost you to make your own frame? did u save like ... lots?

16. Ali C

Ali C "bmxer"

spot on, I put the mounts under the seatstays because I think with trials when you need the back brake the most the wheel is wanting to go backwards eg when you are on a corner of an object from back wheeling or whatever.

With the mounts under, when the wheel goes backwards it will push the pads onto the rim more.

100mm bbs are easy to get hold of, raceface do one (fecking expesive though:S) truvative also do one. The only problem of a 100mm wide bb is the chainline, a ridable frame would have to have asymectric stays.

to get the wheel in, you have to slightly flex the stays apart and push the wheel in, next time I might use thinner chainstays as these are very hard to flex apart lol but it does mean that the wheel will NEVER fall out no matter what!

I got it plastic coated because I could get it done free, I would never do it to a ridable frame though.
    thanks for all the comments guys

17. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Pretty sick....so are you a welder/fabricator by trade or something? Can't really see the welds too well cause of the plastic coat, but eh, looks like there isn't anything gaudy....

Niiiice fabrication....

18. Ali C

Ali C "bmxer"

lol, I am flattered that you think that :) this was the first time I have ever been in a workshop let alone welded before