Hey Oregoons

Discussion in 'West Coast, USA' started by smudge, Sep 13, 2004.

1. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

I just spent 10 days in Portland (Lake Oswego actually) and covered just about everything I could find within a 3 hour driving distance from the city.

Where would a person living in the city go to find some natural riding? I didn't see much available. Local road riding looks to be incredible, especially around L.O. and West Lynn, but nearby mountain biking and natural trials seems to be missing. Looks like an hour or so drive is necessary to hit any good trails.

I'm currently looking for employment out there (which is a tough job in itself) so I can relocate and get away from the Balt/DC area where I have lived far too long.

2. Cole

Cole New Member

I don't really know that area very well but I was curious as to what level of rider you are and mod or stock?

3. smudge

Stock. Used to be decent expert, haven't competed but once in the last three years. I'm "old" though and have given up on trying to improve my big moves in order to keep my knees from degenerating as quickly as they have been.

Incidentally, I'm planning on heading out to FTC and Longmont in a month or so to check it out too. I figure there's no shortage of natural riding there, but would miss the surfing.

4. darkside

darkside Well-Known Member

I grew up in L.O. (well Dunthorpe to be exact). You can find some natural riding if you go to George Rogers Park. There's rocks and such right at the river, or if you cross the first wooden bridge and head to your right. Otherwise, I always just rode downtown. I was an urban rider back then and didn't think to explore the natural terrain... But bare in mind that the long rainy season will keep you off the many logs you may find.
    If you're looking for roadie stuff in LO, Lakeside bikes was the best when I worked there.

5. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Give me a call when you are in ftc, 970-310-6741 .

6. smudge

Will do. Won't have the bike though. I'm flying in there with some friends who are also looking into relocating (but for some inexplicable reason are fully against Portland) for just a few days to get a feel for the area and to meet with a recruiter.

If I can swing it, I'll pack the bike so I can embarrass myself while I'm there.

7. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I was talking about drinking :dunno:

;)

8. smudge

Perfect. I had such a great time trying out all the local beers when I was in OR. I hope you have just as wide an array of choices.

If not, I'll have to bring a few bottles of Dog Fish Head 120min IPA. One for me and another for you. At about 20% Alcohol by volume, 1 is all I need.

9. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

sean!

are you going to portland? if so, when? i was looking into relocating as well. i saw that chris king is now in oregan?

10. smudge

It looks that way. King is out there, so it Sapa Inc. King is looking for a sales manager, so I'm checking into that, but I'm going to try to stay in the IT field.

Heather and I are going to check out FTC probably next month, but I really think Portland is going to be hard to beat. It's a great area.

We're off as soon as I find a job, or she starts grad school...whichever comes first.

11. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Don't worry, one of (if not the) highest micro brews per capita in the US :)

12. redworm

redworm ninja pants!

Relocating? CO springs is a clear choice.

13. smudge

CO Springs was another choice. There's a grad school there that Heather wants to check out. I keep hearing that it's ultra-conservative, which isn't what we're looking for. Of course, I heard that about Portland too, but they're really a bunch of beaver hugging softies.

14. mikeschiavone

my middle name is liberal.

15. mikeschiavone

mike, if you find me a job and place to stay, ill move to co springs

16. AndyT

AndyT New Member

redworm just wants more riders :rofl:

springs blows :p

17. PDX Zebdi

PDX Zebdi Guest

hey i live in Portland and am riding downtown around 3 every day almost. is there anyone out there who rides trials in portland or the surrounding areas? please someone say yes. im going crazy not having anyone to ride with and am not getting any better. i am a newb to trials, but i have a good bike and wanna become better. anyone wanna ride sometime?