Observed Trials banner

Hey Kevin; World vid question

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  tomacropod 
#1 ·
what was that on the Syntace bike in your video? I thought I had already posted this question somewhere but I can't remember.

#4 ·
i hear it wasnt fake though. i talked a bit with mister ohler and he said that it was a concept they wanted to pursue. they wouldnt want to stress the tubing by wleding on a whole bunch of crap they wouldnt want. he told me they dropped the idea though as it was just plain impracticle for consumer release.

they had talked of applying the idea to road bikes though where the idea makes much more sense and is much more practicle. road frames are using such thin tubing now in some cases that the internal pressurizing idea might pay off.

#5 ·
That's amazing. There is an original idea (as far as I know). I'd love to know their full theory behind that. I suppose it might prevent the mild denting that the Giant XTC type bikes are experiencing. I'd also love to be around the first time the downtube was gouged so I could hear the pop.

thanks Kevin

#9 ·
it actualy was a concept syntace was looking into. it was not a joke. in THEORY it could work.

when they ship the fuel tanks for big ass rockets (titans and atlas rockets) they pressurize the inside with an inert gas because the wall thickness is so thin that the tank can dent very easily. they help prevent this by filling it up. it also helps them to make sure it didnt develope any holes in shipping- when it arrives the pressure should be the same as when it was sent out.

not that any of that would practically apply to a bike but it was an idea. ideas sometimes lead to cool stuff... in this case it led to a dead end.

#10 ·
i can't help thinking though that they knew this was bogus from the get go. in the case of shipping rocket fuel, you've got a bit more control and desire for control over the all of the variables in the equation - ie, you make damn sure that you've got something that can put a decent amount of counter pressure against the walls of the tank so your cargo doesn't explode. you don't have some kid with a bicycle pump pumping it up, squeezing the downtube every now and then until it feels inflated enough. it seems like you would need a large amount of pressure in there to get even a minimal effect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.