help with bike weight

Discussion in 'Beginner's Area' started by norco tt, Dec 4, 2004.

1. norco tt

norco tt New Member

i used to have a norco bigfoot but i broke the frame doing trials. so then i got a norco team trials that i like allot, but the thing is i put the bigfoot parts on the norco tt frame. and now my bike weights about 33 pounds. the only parts that i have changed is i put hs33 on the back, new peddles and a grannygod. what can i do to make my bike lighter??????

Attached Files:

• work.jpg
      work.jpg
      File size:
      62.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2004
  2. bylsma

bylsma New Member

Shorten your chain, drill your rims and bash and take out that huge ass seat. Depends on how much money you want to spend.

3. norco tt

norco tt New Member

ya i really need a new seat.

iam thinking about getting a dx32 with a deore or a xt hub and a new tire

4. airmj

airmj Guest

get a hope xc or ck hub instead, the xt isn't gonna last u long.

5. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

if you don't rely on your front wheel too much for riding you could try a ligher front wheel setup. get a smaller seat, cut your seatpost short/don't use a seatpost.

don't get a shimano hub - they are fucking stupid. king/hope/something else

you could get a predrilled dx32 like the echo or whatever to save some more weight if you're not wanting to drill it yourself.

6. norco tt

norco tt New Member

ya but those hubs are $$$$$$$$$$$$

7. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

why don't you buy a kids bike for trials? i mean it's cheaper right?

oh wait, they are SHITTY and they BREAK

8. Simonk

Simonk Guest

one relatively cheap thing you could do is get a road cassette or customise yourself one using spacers and king cogs or just pull some off an old cassette.

9. Tanner

Tanner New Member

lighter tires? lighter chain? lighter stem? lighter bars? if you're running two chainrings up front, ditch that. get an aluminum fork if you don't already have one.

10. norco tt

norco tt New Member

i think the main thing is the back rim and hub thats the most

11. Boo_Berry

Boo_Berry Guest

relatively speaking, a ck hub isn't that much more than a hope xc lol... you could swap out your cogs for a low ratio road set like sora or ultegra (if u hav the green), shorten your chain, get a littler seat, get a short cage derailleur

yes for some reason, shimano make poo-quality hubs... i dont understand?

12. Simonk

Simonk Guest

they do what they are designed for.

13. mikemad23

mikemad23 Guest

get rid of the bashgaurd, its the canada one right? if it is it weighs tons

14. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

Beginner thread .

And get pedals instead of peddles, they will be heaps better.

15. airmj

airmj Guest

rhynolite laced to a hope xc will save u a crap load of weight. hehe

16. Burn

Burn Guest

I doubt changing the rear wheel will save you any weight. Ditch the seat, cut the post, get some block 8 magnesium pedals. I don't think i would drill anything until you've got a little more experience with riding style.

Get rid of everything that looks freeridish.

17. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Guest

yeah take the seat and pole right out don't replace it with anything and straight up you've lost a lot of weight. Get out the drill if you're keen. Light tyres and cassete again if you're keen and have $$ more. I don't know how much those frames weigh but any I've felt have seemed damn heavy.Whenever you need new parts you have to try to splash enough $$ for the lighter option and slowly you will get a lighter bike.

18. norco tt

norco tt New Member

i dont think that drilling your rims will take off 2 much weight, and i already have block 8 pedals on it. i think what i will do is junk the seat and get one of those small ones and get a new stem (a longer one) and new tires.

19. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

my px pitbull and steel fork built up, w/ a seat and everything is only 31lbs, so u got plenty of places to save weight

20. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Get a lighter wheelset...you should be able to manual better:nuts:

Seriously though, get a drilled DX32, and a front wheel that's really shitty for anything but rolling. Like a Mavic X221 or something. You should be able to find a built one NEW for $40. Light, alot lighter than the wheels on there.

King hubs are worth the coin...get them....