Help! What's with my avid?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Cole, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Cole

Cole New Member

I'm switching from v-brakes to a disc brake on the front: specifically an avid mechanical with an 185mm rotor. Anyways, I just mounted the rotor on the chris king iso hub, put the adaptor on the frame, and put my circa 2002 avid caliper on the fork. For some reason my rotor rubs on one side of the caliper no matter what I do. It is the max the rotor can be moved over. Do I need to use some lame spacer on the outside of my king hub axle to space the fork apart slightly more? I've tried to mount the setup on both an echo urban and a px knifen with the same results. Or do I need some 2004 or 2003 caliper or something?

Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

Have you tried using the red adjuster knobs? ;) It looks like one of your pads is pushed in a bit, can't really tell though.

3. Cole

Cole New Member

Ha Ha, nice try - it's rubbing on the outside red knob side with the the pad fully retracted however I maneuver it.

4. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

yea...i have a kniffen, iso king, and an avid, and it works....best way to fix ur prob.... file the avid adaptor, might as well file the $15 adaptor, not the $80 fork or $100 caliper

5. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

calipers are not 100....
    Try using some spacers on the adapter mount, and see if that will help. I couldn't even see the rotor until just now, so now i understand.

6. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

spacers will make it worse..........

7. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Is it me or is the adaptor not flush with the disc mount on the fork? Maybe the disc tab is crooked, and hence the caliper sits too far out. I used to run a knifen and an Avid Disc w/o any problems. You might want to file the adapter down some to get it to fit. As was previously said the adapter is cheapest part of that setup.

2 people like this.
  8. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Why is long piece on the brake pad bent? (the ones you use to hold the pads when you install/remove them)

9. Elan

Elan steve french

go to some LBS, ask around for a magura tab facing tool, take some material off of your tabs. if you cant get enough off withought making hte tabs too weak, do the same thing to the 185mm adapter. together you should be able to get the clearance. i suggest not using a file, and finding the tab facer..but a file will work in a pinch..just make sure they are absolutely flat.

1 person likes this.
  10. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

thats the nice things about the avids, u can have the tabs and adaptor completly off, and u can still adjust them prefectly

11. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

o and the pad tab is bent to make it easier to get the wheel in, old avids u would catch the inside pad w. the rotor and jam it up

12. Cole

Cole New Member

What are you talking about? :?

13. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

Who knows. See if the bolts are in there right, like RomanC said, it seems to not be sitting square on? :dunno: Just take it to a local bike shop if you're having troubles and can't figure it out. You don't want to shave off your adapter completely :greddy:
    Edit- ROFLMFAO, xxfr gives me negative reputation points for saying a caliper doesn't cost 100 :rofl:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2004
  14. Cole

Cole New Member

Ha Ha, I work at the local bicycle shop. At all of the other 4, the mechanics have no clue about anything. It's definitely not because the bolts are in wrong or something. I've switched between forks and put the bolts in several times. The tabs and adaptor probably could be ground down and faced though. I'll try that.

15. Elan

Elan steve french

oh man. i wonder who gave me - reputation points for suggesting that in the first place. ohwells/

hopefully it works..if not, could itbe the hub? is it a new hub?

16. Cole

Cole New Member

The hub is by no means new, but it is in perfect condition. I don't think it could be the hub, except maybe the offset or design of the hub.

17. Elan

Elan steve french

i was going to say that if was a new hub, that it might have a defect. but since its been used. then no issue there.

18. AndyT

AndyT New Member

just come move in, i'll set u up like a phat pimp

19. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

im talking about the moon washer set up, if the tabs arent welded straight, u can still have working brakes....

20. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

You can also put washers between the hub and the disc; that will move the disc more out but I don't know how safe it will be.