Observed Trials banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just wanted some help from this awesome forum. Away from biking for 15 years. My friend lent me his old Echo Pure recently (with Avid SD 7 levers and SD5 V brakes Rear, Shimano Front disc Front). It got me back and just picked up a street trials bike by Zhi 24". Its been so long but I can still those back wheel hops/peddlekicks, tailwhips etc...

Problem is brakes. They came with Mt200 shimanos hydro 160mm on my new bike, they feel like they slip on rear wheel hops/pedal kicks... I put 180mm discs on the front and they seemed better, so much that after a bunny hop up a sidewalk a person came out of nowhere and i tapped my front brakes and flipped me over.

On my old bike 15 years ago I had XTR levers and XT v brakes for trials. Im 5,9 about 190 pounds.

Im completely new to this hydro game and just want to practice my manuals and to hopefully get down the footjam tailwhip (hopefully drops too) and some G turns. Nothing too crazy as I have kids now!

Looking for a cost effective solution... Ive seen hopes and maguras but they cost a little fortune. Can I get away with Avid bb5/bb7 mechanical disks? Or just keep the Mt200s and get a bigger rotor for the back?

Any help is appreciated! Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi guys, just wanted some help from this awesome forum. Away from biking for 15 years. My friend lent me his old Echo Pure recently (with Avid SD 7 levers and SD5 V brakes Rear, Shimano Front disc Front). It got me back and just picked up a street trials bike by Zhi 24". Its been so long but I can still those back wheel hops/peddlekicks, tailwhips etc...

Problem is brakes. They came with Mt200 shimanos hydro 160mm on my new bike, they feel like they slip on rear wheel hops/pedal kicks... I put 180mm discs on the front and they seemed better, so much that after a bunny hop up a sidewalk a person came out of nowhere and i tapped my front brakes and flipped me over.

On my old bike 15 years ago I had XTR levers and XT v brakes for trials. Im 5,9 about 190 pounds.

Im completely new to this hydro game and just want to practice my manuals and to hopefully get down the footjam tailwhip (hopefully drops too) and some G turns. Nothing too crazy as I have kids now!

Looking for a cost effective solution... Ive seen hopes and maguras but they cost a little fortune. Can I get away with Avid bb5/bb7 mechanical disks? Or just keep the Mt200s and get a bigger rotor for the back?

Any help is appreciated! Thank you in advance!
i would suggest to get rid of new shimano brakes specially these new ones. I and my friends had already got snapped calipers. Me on a deore and my friends on xt's. Rim brakes with proper pads stopping power is instant, bb5/bb7 lots have good setup as well. And as well as 180-203 rotors gives lot of difference compared to 160

For my setup, as an amateur til now, donated parts mixed up. Deore levers with magura mt2 calipers with metallic pads, perfect performance for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts