help me out...

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by RyanMcVicker, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Stay with mod a little while longer and get a longer mod like a koxx lb/echo team

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Switch to stock and get an Echo Pure

22 vote(s)
    78.6%
  1. RyanMcVicker

RyanMcVicker Well-Known Member

I need some help on deciding what I should do... so please help me out...

I currently ride on a 2000 Monty xlite mod. I am about 6'2"/6'3" and 163-165 lbs

I will either....

1. get a longer mod like a koxx lb/echo team and stay with mod a little while longer

OR,

2. stop riding mod, switch to stock, and get an '04 echo pure.

What should I do?

1 person likes this.
  2. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

Get a stock and be done with it! No more "should i get the python?" Threads please ;)
    A person of your height will be better on a longer bike.

3. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Ever ridden a stock bike? what kind? how did you like it?

Safe bet would be 1, though I guess you could change to a longer mod and not like it.

I think 2 would probably also be a safe bet, I don't know that you'd like stock. I only know one person that has switched from a monty xlite mod to a LB1100 and really regretted it.

Answer the first three questions and we'll have a better idea on how to answer the question.

Bill

1 person likes this.
  4. Elan

Elan steve french

monty x-lite to 1100? his bike grew twice as long, i wodner why he regretted it?

i suggest #2. i have no idea how you ride a monty mod for more then 20 minutes at 6'3". that shit has to be uncomfy. but as matt said, you might not like stock.

whats this "little while longer" talk? if you are going to go to stock eventually, just do it now and save yourself at least the $ of buying a new mod.

5. RyanMcVicker

I have never ridden a stock trials bike, but have ridden other 26" mountain bikes alot like my xc bike... Ive had my monty since last december (for about 6 months). the monty is the only 20" bike ive ridden. My monty definetly feels cramped compared to my xc bike. I wouldn't have a problem with either 1 or 2, i just wanted your opinion on what type (mod or stock) you think someone like me should be riding on. What would benefit somone like me the most? Even if I did get a long mod now to try it out, i will eventually just switch to stock and stick with stock for good, so i guess i should just switch to stock now.. Elan is right.

I just was wondering how different a longer mod would feel compared to my cramped monty... probobly not much less cramped, so im probobly better off with stock huh?

6. Elan

Elan steve french

i have ridden a few mods. the long ones i rode definately feel a lot better than the shorter ones. but they are no long stock. you could get the LONG 1045mm python or similar..what are the echo/koxx mods at? 1035? , or go for a stock and not worry about having to switch later...

if i were you i would go ahead and splurge on a decent stock. somthing like: koxx LB or xtp, coust, koxx PM belaey looks mighty nice except for the paint, marco vinco promodel if you want a long ass bike for sure, echo pure.. maybe even a BT RAVen 5.0 if they ever get here.

however you go, good luck. i think you can adapt to just about anything and make it work for you, but it doesnt help as much as finding the ideal set up for yourself. as tall as you are, i wouldnt even think of getting a mod. but then again, i have almost no experience on them.

7. RyanMcVicker

Ya, I am just going to go stock. Everyone tells me that its the way to go for my height. Plus, Ive always wanted to ride stock anyway, i basically just got a mod to start with and learn on.. and just to see what they are like. my monty is definetly not for me, and a longer mod would probobly feel better, but like you said its still a mod and i would still be cramped..

Anyways, thanks for your help guys! I really appreciate it!

I think im going with the new 2004 pure 1085mm wheelbase. I would get a koxx, but i sortof want a seat option on the frame when i need to get around places so i dont have to stand up... I also want 4 bolt mounts

So my only options are

-planet x, but they are too short and heavy, i dont think they even have 4bolts
    -Desalvo, they are kindof expensive and no one sells a complete build desalvo, plus i dont think they are as long as a pure and dont have 4 bolts
    -echo pure, they have seat option, long wheelbase, 4bolt,

im going with the pure...

If you know of any other stocks that have: seats, 4bolt, and long wheelbase please let me know

8. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

Planet X's are real short, almost as short as the longers of the mods, don't even bother.
    The seat option on the Pure is like having no seat at all, there is no way you'll EVER be able to sit on it. Just get the Koxx. You will NEVER use a seat...

9. RyanMcVicker

Well, the seat that comes with the pure is like having no seat at all, but Im going to get a bigger seat and put it on or raise it up when i want to get from point a to point b

Sortof like this setup on this guys bike...

[​IMG]

10. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

that's a joke and a half right there
    just ride your bike, i'm on a mod it's not bad at all. a seat like that will just be a hassle and you'll never use it. it's big and heavy, and when the seat is in that position you're not even going to be able to pedal one full rotation. If you raise the seat, it'll still be extremely uncomfortable, and you won't want to sit around like that. Also, having a seat high enough to barely be able to pedeal around will add a lot of weight....

11. echoteam13

echoteam13 Guest

i was gonna suggest the new 1085 pure to you before i saw that you had chosen that one. that is a very very good choice. go for it.

12. Elan

Elan steve french

just fyi: the desalvo has the same exact measurements as a 2002/2003 XTP. they feel fucking AWESOME. just no 4-bolt..but i am sure you could order one with that option if you really wanted to. because after all, they are custom.

you will be happy with the echo though, everybody i know who rides one loves it.

13. RyanMcVicker

Thanks for your opinion, but i know im going to want a seat option, even if its not the best setup, it will work better than no seat at all

14. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Don't worry. Despite the seat mount the pure is a full on trials bike.

15. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Just take the seat out when you ride... you won't believe how much space it frees up for balance, and how much you'll notice that little bit of weight when you take it off. Look into the Odyssey mini bmx seats.. they won't get in the way much, dirt cheap, and don't weigh a ton.
    I'm in the same situation you are with height. The long mods were still the same length as most short wheelbase stock bikes and I didn't realize just how cramped I was until getting on a longer bike. Night and day better.
    Enjoy the new bike.

16. B1105

B1105 New Member

I kinda was in the situation you are in now, but in the opposite way. I started on a zebdi, which has helped me learn the basics, but after 4 months of riding, I feel like I would like a mod better. I've never ridden a mod, but I bought an Echo team at that risk. I'm 5'9"-5"10", so I don't face the height problem, but if your not cramped on the mod, go for like a team or levelboss. If you are cramped, a stock will feel better, but may be harder to make that switch.
    Either way, you'll get a good bike.

17. RyanMcVicker

tzimon- So you went from a long mod to stock and it feels much better??

b1105- Yeah, my monty feels sorta cramped, ive kinda gotten used to it, but when i first got it, it felt way to cramped. I dont think it will be hard to switch to stock because before i got my mod, all i used to ride were 26" xc mountain bikes. And i still ride my xc bike. Besides, mod isn't for me anyway, so even if it was hard to switch to stock, i will just have to go through with it and get used to it. MANY many people have told me stock will be alot better for me, and i agree. Iam going to stock for good.

18. 4hun

4hun Guest

I ride a mod, a monty as a matter of fact, and i am the same height as you. I tried stock, they are the "in" thing but boy are they clumsy compared to the mod. I just hate the feel of them. Before we get all crazy with wheelbase, the python,Koxx lb20 long or echo team are all whithin 2.5 inches of a level boss 1100 (which is the longest stock made I believe). Lets keep in mind the popular numbers (1100, 1145 etc) are all in milimeters, which really doesn't add up to much when you consider you are switching to a wheel that is 6" bigger in diameter. I'd say give a stock a long hard ride before deciding. It's a lot of money to spend on something if you are not sure. You must like the mod, or you wouldn't be having this argument with yourself. I've got a python that should be here in a couple days. I'd suggest one, or maybe an echo team long. they're also a lot cheaper to maintain, and they are also much tougher. Stock's become a money pit fast

19. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

He's been talking about the switch to stock for some time now. Given his height he would be better suited on a stock.
    The 1" increase from my X Lite to my XTP (when it arrives) is going to be dramatic, even though it's barely over an inch. It'll probably take me a good week or so to get used to it, and after that I know my riding style will change when I'm on rocks, because I'll have to rear wheel the tight stuff, and I can span stuff that I used to rear wheel etc. Ups/gaps will also change.
    Still remember this is over just 1"? K, now multiply that number by 2, and see what you get. The change will be huge, so it's not "just 2 inches" it's more like "holy shit!! 2 inches!?".

20. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"