help me choosing a new bike

Discussion in 'Beginner's Area' started by Rage, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Rage

Rage New Member

Hi!

So i have rode trials for 5 months for now and my current bike is a Scott YZ2 with some more or less trials parts.

Now i have a problem. I don't know what bike to buy. Mod or stock? What are the good/bad sides of stock/mod?

what to choose between these complete bikes:

[font=Garamond, serif]ECHO Team 20" (without brake system), 1120$
    these are Zoo!
    Complete bike Pyhton 20" 2005 1035mm(without brake system), 1150$
    Complete bike Pitbull 26" 2004 1090mm(without brake system), 1240$
    Complete bike Pitbull 26" 2005 1085mm(without brake system), 1380$

Thanks for anyone who can help!
    [/font]

2. unlimits

unlimits New Member

Go to http://www.biketrials.com/tech/stockvsmod.shtml to see differences between mod and stock. the distance in mm (like 1085mm) between the wheels and depends on your height. you can calculate your height and weight and with it look for mod or stock (witch you prefer) and then the longitude between the wheels...

3. Nurseill454

Nurseill454 Guest

The new pitbull's are pretty sweet, especially if your looking for a comp. bike. I've tried both styles, and i much prefer stock over mod...its just a personal preference. Try to ride a mod before you make your choice though. On a mod you can camp out on the rear wheel but stocks are a lot more versatile... I ride an Echo Pure 1060 and i love it...you might want to look at that too. Good luck with your decision!

4. Boo_Berry

Boo_Berry Guest

yea, first make your decision as to which "flavor" you like more -- mod makes it way easier to do pretty much everything, except dont expect to ride anywhere, it take a billion pedals to make it to the end of any street! but mod you probably will stick with the same components for all time
    stock is just more versatile, the learning curve is a lot steeper, but when you're good -- you're realli good!
    anyhoo, as for the pitbull, its an awesome frame -- a little heavier than other frames out there, i'm surprised you're not looking at the new control or bounce... or planet x ghost or tibo or better yet -- koxx!

5. bylsma

bylsma New Member

I will never understand why people say this. Go try wedges on a mod.

6. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

mods are easier to balance on the rear wheel.....thats about it

7. wannabetrials

wannabetrials Guest

i wou;d go with a cheaper mod first then buy a stock in a couple years

8. Boo_Berry

Boo_Berry Guest

ok ok i'll admit, wheelbase and wedge moves r pretty hard, but anything rear wheel is like not needing to try! its easier to do everything cuz the bike is so freakin small

9. bylsma

bylsma New Member

On street maybe, but wheel placement becomes such a big factor on rocks and such with a mod. You can get your wheel hung up on any little surface imperfection so easy.

Rage - choosing between stock and mod is really about your style, neither is better or worse. If you hop along more, go mod, if you prefer to roll as much as possible, go stock. Look at it this way, on stock you use the bike to get you where you're going. On mod you're just bringing the bike along. If you are a power rider, go mod. Spanish riders in one word - powerful. They are known for mod riding. If you rely on smooth technique, go for a stock, think French riders.

10. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf Guest

I'm with Bylsma on this one. When I had just started riding, a mod was much easier because I relied so much on just hopping through sections, but now that I am sorta kinda okay at trials, everything is easier on my stock. Even rear wheel control is much better than on my mod. I can go so much bigger on a stock. As soon as I got used to the new bike (LevelBoss 1065), I could suddenly get 3+ foot ups to rear wheel, and I could roll up stuff 6 inches higher than that. I also gained over a foot on gaps. the change was incredible. If I was just starting out, the extra 4 pounds would really make me tired from all the hopping. So basically, if you can ride smoothly, a stock makes things easier, but otherwise get an inexpensive mod, get good, and see where you want to go from there. This is just from my experience and the experience of my other friends who ride, so sorry if someone disagrees.

11. Yoda

Yoda They see me rollin'

It looks like you are prepared to spend about the same amount of money on a mod as a stock. So I would say go stock. Especially since you already have been riding a 26" wheel bike. A brand new mod will lose its value pretty fast and you won't be able to sell it for as much as you would a stock.

12. Sneaker

Sneaker New Member

I started with stockbike, with echo urban. it was ok becouse it was short, but i rather be riding mod already in the begining. Mod roxx. go for koxx or python if you got the money.

13. hello?

hello? Guest

try a BT Raven. its like a mod. sort of.